cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Bloomberg's private army

The mayor claimed to command the seventh largest army in the world.

This is apparently how it operates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/nyregion/whistle-blower-police-officer-had-backup-secret-recording...

24 Replies
johnaa
Advisor

Prototype of the American Police State? Coming to your town.

http://lewrockwell.com/whitehead/whitehead40.1.html

As with any other police force, NYPD suffers from a fair amount of corruption. One officer, Michael Dargjati, was arrested for a racially motivated stop-and-frisk and false arrest of a black man on Staten Island. He had allegedly been caught bragging to a female friend that he had “fried another **bleep**… no big deal.” Officer Stephen Anderson as well admitted in court to routinely planting drugs on people so as to meet department quotas, a practice that he claimed was common amongst police officers. And in 2011, 12 people, including five NYC police officers, were arrested for smuggling $1 million worth of cigarettes, guns, and slot machines into the city.

In short, the civil liberties of all those, including tourists, who walk the New York streets, particularly if they belong to ethnic and religious minorities, are being trampled upon in order to maintain an illusion of safety. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, like many other government officials, uses the specter of terrorism to haunt the citizens of New York, in order to justify his department’s disregard for civil liberties. Kelly says, “What we’re trying to do is save lives, and the tactics and strategies that we’ve used on the streets of this city have indeed saved lives.” As of May 2011, 89% of New Yorkers approve of these heavy-handed tactics.

But some New Yorkers can see the dangerous leviathan that is wrapping its tentacles around the Bill of Rights. Representative Yvette Clarke of Brooklyn notes, “We’re quickly moving to an apartheid situation here in the city of New York where we don’t recognize the civil liberties and the civil rights of all New Yorkers.” Without a massive response to the NYPD abuse, Americans will most likely see the rise of rogue police organizations all across the country as civil liberties are thrown aside in favor of brute government force.

One thing is for sure: what’s happening in New York illustrates how easily people are led into the illusion that security should trump freedom. However, as past regimes illustrate, such security measures eventually become tools of terror against the citizens themselves.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

So let me get this right...Demcrat Mayor, Union Police force, and Government Misdeeds

all in the same story?

Wait until Sgt. Schultz tells us why we are all jumping to conclusions on this one.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: So let me get this right...Demcrat Mayor, Union Police force, and Government Misdeeds

With the exception of Ron Paul and the tiny libertarian wing of the republican party I didn't see many of the fiscally responsible republicans doing anything but shoveling, out an estimated $645 billion in "homeland security" money that has been used to militarize civilian police forces over the last 10 years. More like a 10' auger, you couldn't come close to shoveling that fast.

Also didn't get too much interest here when I noted that I found some irony in police officers with very fine health and retirement benefits busting the heads of occupy protesters. It was more like extremely giddy relif that those brave gents were protecting private property and the fine order of things.

So plenty of ideological gotchas to go around if you want to play.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: So let me get this right...Demcrat Mayor, Union Police force, and Government Misdeeds

Nox, it is just that the "three blind mice" on board here tend to fry my bacon with their perpetual litany of how bad the republicans are, how great unions are, and how government never does wrong. I agree with the gloomy outlook posed by hardline police forces, but would take security over anarchy.

I think it is scary what the alternative outlooks are for the future both of our country, and the world. The policies in place would seem to me to be leading us more towards a Soviet Style police state than to liberty. Every time someone is not encouraged to think for themselves , to work towards their own advancement, or to accept and nurture personal responsibility we are one step further towards the abyss.

People that don't believe in personal responsibility are not good stewards of the democratic process. The advancement of a police state may tell us more about what the powers in charge see and are responding to, than anything else. If we look into the mirror of our society, it cannot be very pretty right now.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

You are known for who you fight for and who you fight against. It's not admirable to hold the little guy down nor to support lower wages and lower benefits for them. No, america is supposed to be the land of promise where opportunity to advance oneself ought be appreciated by everyone.

Instead you insult the successful and insult the less successful and dislike anyone that crosses your radar that don't think exactly like you.

Yes I have a pretty good idea of what republicans stand for. Look at Wisconsin, Look at OHio. Look at all the states that are trying to make voting more difficult by special people. Is that an admirable thing to do?  To make women be subjected to an inner vaginal probe prior to an abortion. Oh yes I know that  women that are not pregnant often demand an abortion. That is republican thinking for you.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

There is not one soul on here who "perpetually says" the things you quote from them.  I'm sure that I am one of the 3 you hate so much that your "bacon gets fried" and the only thing I say is that you guys jump all over Obama for EVERYTHING whether he actually had anything to do with it or not and are always saying things like "dumrats", etc and that we are stupid for being democrats and other wonderful things about us.  So of course, I will defend and tell you that you aren't perfect and everything your party folks do is NOT, REPEAT NOT always correct or in the best interest of the rest of the country and I know my party isn't but I would still rather have my party than yours.  So, if that fries your bacon, add a couple of eggs and have a nice meal because I am not going to stop!

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Actually Bart, you typed something truthful and it shows you still have hope.

"So of course, I will defend and tell you that you aren't perfect and everything your party folks do is NOT, REPEAT NOT always correct or in the best interest of the rest of the country and I KNOW MY PARTY ISN"T".

If you know that your party is not always perfect or in the best interest of the country you actually have a leg up on the other two blind mice. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I have always said that but I haven't seen a single repub admit that the gop even COULD be wrong about anything.  Therein lies the difference between you and me.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Well, I didn't even vote for GW Bush the second time around, and actually voted for a democratic representative and one independent party candidate, so maybe you are tarring me with the wrong  brush, sir. I think most of the republicans are evil creatures, too. Just that the democrats tend to be both evil and hypocritical.