cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Book burners out in force

Who knew the Kentucky Derby was racist? I thought we fixed all of that when we got rid of the Confederate flag and all of those civil war statues

snip-

There will not be a Kentucky Derby party at Dartmouth College this year because some students allege that one of the nation’s most prestigious horse races is racist.

And fair warning – before reading further you might want to make a batch of Mint Juleps. You’re going to need it.

Back in 2015, a group of Black Lives Matter protestors targeted an exclusive Kentucky Derby party hosted by the ladies of Kappa Delta Epsilon – calling the event overtly racist and “recreating an Antebellum South atmosphere on the Ivy League campus.”

The protestors accused the party of being a “bastion of racism, exclusion and oppression.” They chanted, “What is Derby? It’s the face of genocide” and “What is Derby? It’s the face of police brutality.”

I searched The New York Times archives and could find no evidence of police brutality at the Derby – nor could I find any evidence of ethnic cleansings.

I can only imagine the angst and soul searching among the fragile Ivy League snowflakes as they contemplated the grave offense they had caused to the perpetually-offended, hashtag protesters.

To right the terrible injustice -- the sorority ladies met with members of the university’s Afro-American Society. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall in what was most certainly a confab on “privilege.”

Shortly thereafter, Kappa Delta Epsilon decided to change the Kentucky Derby theme “because of its racial connotations.”

“[It is] related to pre-war southern culture,” KDE vice president Nikol Oydanich told The Dartmouth newspaper. “[The] Derby was a party that had the power to upset a lot of our classmates.”

And by “pre-war southern culture,” I reckon the young lady was referring to the Civil War.

There’s just one minor flaw in Kappa Delta Epsilon’s reasoning – the first running of the Kentucky Derby was held in 1875 – during Reconstruction.

4 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Book burners out in force

So... since the sorority made a conscious decision it needs to becexternally corrected? Did they ask for outside help? And the last paragraph shows how thoroughly disingenuous you radicals have become. The specific era has absolutely nothing to do with the well documented "culture" being referred to.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Hide your coloring books, 20!!!

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

And the beat goes on! One desaster after another for these poor wretched, TWINGERS!!

r3020
Senior Advisor

I guess progressive think if you attend a Kentucky Derby party it will lead to people wanting to own slaves. I thought we ended all of this when we got rid of the Confederate flag. Why is it progressives are always stuck on social issues?