cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Both parties are wrong. Its time for a new party

The democrats love more government.  The republicans love more unbridled capitalism for the benefit of the multi national corporations.  No part exists to put the self employed and working class first.  This was inevitable. 

26 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Highlighted

Re: Both parties are wrong. Its time for a new party

Barring intergalactic or divine intervention, what power has the capacity to take on the multinationals, Fed primary dealer banks. defense/securityzeocon lobbies other than government?

Highlighted

That is my concern about Ron Paul's platform.

I think it is extraordinarily naive to think that Halliburton and Goldman are going away once you cut budgets and do away with the Fed.

As noted in the piece linked below by Simon Johnson who is admittedly a "mainstream" international economist but a very fine one, in my opinion.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Id be for a party that just had a few things on their agenda.

Follow the Constitution (and if something needs to be 'updated', do so with an amendment, not by reading into something that isn't there, or ignoring something that is).

Use common sense.

Put the good of the people, as a whole, above special interests.

Of course anything like this has no chance of getting off the ground, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There is a recent example of unbridled capitalism. Unrestricted dealings in the housing market where Banks were allowed to do highly leveraged transactions that brought our economy down. Yes there were laws and regulations that should have offered some protections but they were largely ignored. Ratings companies selling AAA ratings on bundles of crap.

What is really sad that the justice department is not pursueing the banksters. Probably because they thin that any more tulment in the fragile banking system may bring the house of cards down.

Another example is the corporate influence in congress and the purchase of congressmen and legislation favorable to them. Such activity will turn us into a fascist state if we aren't on the way already.

Highlighted

BP making a clear decision to pay fines rather than do things right because by the time everything got stretched out and litigated it was cheaper.

The Texas City refinery is the clearest and best documented case of this- Amoco's Whiting IN refinery is of similar size and age but had about 1/100th the number of citations.  When it blew it killed 15 and injured 170.

The gulf oil spill is better obfuscated at this point but the fingerprint of that company's culture is all over it.

Pfizer selling Vioxx well after internal studies made it clear that it was causing serious heart damage to patients. Then when the jig was up they employed a scorched earth policy to avoid paying compensation to victims who clearly had them dead to rights (and then Penn State hired the CEO, an alum, to do "damage control on their problems- which more than saying anything about PSU makes a very clear statement about how this stuff is accepted as just normal business.)

A couple of examples and with those examples, how are you going to deal with companies like that with anything other than government.  Although the argument is also valid that, moan about regulation and litigation as they do, these powerful players have essentially captured the government, at least insofar as they are also too big to fail no matter how heinous their actions.

Highlighted
Advisor

agree 100%

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I hate to tell you this but you have been supporting the party of special interests.

Highlighted
Advisor

i don't support repubs any more than i do dems. i will support anybody that does the right thing