cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Both parties are wrong. Its time for a new party

First we need to be brurally honest about corporations.  The truth is corporations produce the highest amount at the lowest cost, I`m not saying they produce high quality but high enough quality that Becky Housewife will be pleased with the Wally-World products that she will patronize the store. Corporations are the most efficient method of attracting opperating capital.   On the plus side of that, a guy working at a dead end minimum wage job could invest in Apple stock at the right time and become a millionaire, were he to start a business on his own, there would be much less chance to become rich from his starting point. The thing is, if you put teeth in the "packers/stockyard act", Glass/Steagal, Smoot/ Hawly and such,  Becky Housewife won`t buy 99¢ bacon and $5 jeans any longer.  Joe Lunchbox(Becky`s husband) doesn`t make enough for her to shop anywhere but Wally-World.   So if you start a 3rd Party, what do you tell Joe and Becky how their lives will be better without unbridled capitalism?  You have GOT to first assure them that they would be able to make ends meet  and that would take a pretty giant leap of faith. 

Highlighted
Advisor

Goldman would already be gone if it weren't for government assistance. Haliburtan would not be what it is without government largesse.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Start off by not wasting public money, and closing tax loopholes for the politically well connected, and strive to stamp out corruption.

Done sensibly, this should cut the average middle class tax burdeon, while working towards cutting the debt, and leaving as much as possible in their pockets.

I don't see how enforcing things like the packers and stockyards act will raise the price of things all that much.  For the most part, it will just require the packers to bid on the open market, instead of having captive supplies.  The trick will be to put more teeth into the acts gradually, or even modify them, to better suit the times (this is where common sense will be needed, and is probably the achillies heel of the whole plan, as common sense is all too lacking anymore).  It may or may not raise the prices a bit, but its not like it will double the price of bacon, or anything like that.

I agree corporations are the most efficient way, to bring a product to the consumer, at the lowest price.  However, it seems that some corps are getting sweetheart deals from the gov't, while others are all but getting singled out.  Level the playing field for all, and ensure that they play fair, and act honestly, is the best way to go about it, in my opinion.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Good post, farmer. Whether you want me to or not, I agree. LOL!!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I agree.  I never should have voted for Ben Nelson.  He seemed to be OK a few years ago, when I voted for him, but since then, he seems to have sold-out to the special interests.  I belive I have mentioned this before.

Oh..wait a minute, I bet you assumed I voted down party lines the other way....but I don't.  I vote for who I think will do the best job, whichever party he or she is from.  The only problem is, it seems like I wind up voting for the 'least worst' far too often.

Highlighted
Advisor

Without the government, in a place where the perpetual threat of the possiblity of a period of a genuine democracy based government remains, Haliburton and other fascimiles of it WOULD BE THE GOVERNMENT.

Take a a little time and look into what's been going on just recentlly in terms of governance and who is being put in charge in Turkey.  The  first living example we've had since Mussolini and Franco accomplished what they were able to.   Germany was differnet...the vast majority of the people there wanted what they got, and used the democratic process to install it..   Millions of them mourn it's demise to this day.

You should be able to relate.  The people of your state elected Kasich.  Fransico Franco with training wheels.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the kind words.

What I wish, would be that Congress would get together, and find out what they agree on, then pass that.

From there, they can argue the little nuances bit by bit.

I think this would be far better than sticking all sorts of junk onto a simple bill, and turning what could be simple, into a 10,000 page monster.

Just a for instance.  I think we can all agree that people who lost their job, and others down on their luck, such as single mothers, need assistance.  So, let's start, by giving them enough help so they aren't living at poverty level, and provide job training for those who want it.  There already is a determined poverty level, for people in various situations, so it should be simple to do.  We could pass this bill with probably 90% of the vote, and it might take 20 or 30 pages to do (just a guess).  So why does Congress seem to have to tack on things like barnacle scraping on ships ported on the West side of the Docks on odd numbered days of every other month, when it has nothing at all to do with the original bill?  Yea, I know, its politics, but if I could pass a law, it would require 'truth in advertising' in the titling of Congressional bills.  Instead of the 'single mother assistance bill', it would have to read something like 'Single mother assistance, and barnacle scraping in the home port of Senator Cheatum at taxpayer cost' bill.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Oh..wait a minute, I bet you assumed I voted down party lines the other way....but I don't.  I vote for who I think will do the best job, whichever party he or she is from.  The only problem is, it seems like I wind up voting for the 'least worst' far too often.

Well, that's comforting, farmer, because if you "wind up voting for the "least worst", you can't vote Republican this year, they have more than proved who they are lookin' out for, and it's not you, me, or the American people.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Just when I thought you might have had an epiphany, you go and post that! Haven't you understood these Republican's YET? As long as Obama is in their White House, there is no way in h3ll, they are  going to do anything that might be misconstrued as a win, for this President! They are under the misguided impression, they are going to unseat him. ROFLMAO!!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I will repeat what I wrote a couple posts up:

A guy can dream, can't he?

I never said it WOULD happen, I just said that I wish for once, it COULD.