cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Both parties are wrong. Its time for a new party

It will, farmer, just as soon as the good for nothing Republicans are canned.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If someone would be like the Ben Nelson of his first term, I'd gladly vote for him again.  Unfortunately, for some reason, maybe being in Washington too long, he is turning more politican than Statesman.  The latest polls had him losing to 'generic opponent', and he has decided NOT to run for re-election.

Time will tell who we get to replace him on the D side, and I'll go from there.

I still like Hagel, though, but am still a little undecided on Johanns.

If Stenberg were to run, on either ticket, he'd have my vote.  As State Attourney General, he has really gone after the crooks that swindled people with Ponzi and Pyramid scams, and he was a GREAT help to my sister in law, in getting the insurance coverage promised to my brother, when he had his accident.  He has a record of standing up to both crooked investors, and crooked insurance companies.  I like that.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It's Time to Change Things

The parties are not the problem. The problem is that all politicians, no matter what the party, owe special interests that finance their campaigns, packs and parties for electing them and keeping them in office. Until a time when we are the ones owed the benefits of law, the problem will continue. I suppose that if some grass roots party came around that owed no favors to anyone but us commoners with no big money, then that would be good until reelection time and lobbyists came around. Once a politician gets to DC, all they owe us is enough lip service to make us think they are working for us. The parties love those on either extreme that give them tons of money and they love to write laws that benefit the funders.

Highlighted
Advisor

Had classic liberalism remain the governing philosophy of the American people and its government that might be true. As it is government is the main enabler of what you claim to hate. We are a fascist state.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I take issue with your statement that the vast majority of Germans wanted what they got. My sources tell me that about 30% of Germans were in favor of what happened. About the same percentage of current Americans that would support a nazi style takever and debt repudiation right now. And that may be enough to spell the doom of the American experiment, too.

30% of hardcore believers is a powerful force when up against apathy.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The sad thing is with the Packers and Stockyard that ship has sailed, with 5% of hogs bought on the open market and no young people wanting it any different, it`s all something to read about in history.  To give Becky Housewife 99¢ bacon, there has to be big lots of forward contracted hogs, so the packer knows they will be at the right size on the right day, nothing to slow the line down.  Even non-white pigs are wanted because a colored hair on the carcass is too easily seen.  With more laws and regs will not stop coruption, Democrat Jon Corzine broke every rule in the book and MFG still went broke.  Let`s simplify the viability of a 3rd party.  Both R`s and D`s spend over spend money, Democrats more so but that`s how you get elected.  I put up with the R`s spending because of their social issues, GTO puts his blinders on to the D`s spending because of their social issues.....Simplified it comes down to "gay marriage" and how you feel about it as to what party you will support.  If a 3rd party is against it, I will support them but only if I think that they can win, I won`t risk letting the Democrats win by splitting the Republican vote and legalizing "gay marriage" and that works vicey-versa with GTO and the Dems.  America`s main economic problem that no one is addressing, not even Paul is free trade. That is what is killing us, if "Bob" worked at Maytag making $25/hr, investing in company stock and Maytag moves to Mexico.  Bob`s stock shoots up and he`s happy but he`s out of work and has to work daily 6hrs at Caseys and 6hrs at Fareway for $8/hr ...that is what`s wrong with this country none, and I mean none of the 6 gentlemen running for president and 0bama want to address that issue(Romney a little).  If a 3rd party could be the only party actually for "Fair" trade that would certainly set them a part ...Now how would they straddle the "gay marriage" issues?  Those are the deal breakers. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I agree the ship has sailed for the hog producer, but maybe we can save the independant cattleman, if we hurry.  My grandpa used to raise hogs, and we 'always' had hogs on the farm, even through the 30s, until 2009.  There just wasn't any place to take small lots of hogs anymore.   I could have joined a co-op, and they pooled the hog numbers together, to make potloads, but the pickup point was so far away, you lost most of the day doing it.  Start sorting at dawn, and get home at 3PM, and that was making no other stops, and eating a sack lunch.  For the death of the independant hog producer, I blame Ann Venemen (spelled right?).  Us little guys were on the brink, and she had the power to help us, or let us fall off.  She chose the side with the deepest pockets.

We need to enforce existing laws, and put teeth into them, and make the punishment severe enough, that people won't do the crime (more than we need a bunch of new regulations on top of what is already there).  This goes back to the 'common sense' thing.  If you go to www.mikeroweworks.com  try and listen to Mike's comments on OSHA, if they are still up.  (Mike Rowe is the guy on 'Dirty Jobs').  His comment is that he works with farmers & such, and in one case, an OSHA official saw footage from 'Dirty Jobs', and fined one of the farmers for having a bent step on a grain bin.  The bent step in question was the very bottom one, as Mike said, the farthest one could fall was 6 or 8 inches.  ALL other safety regs were followed, and the step was not broken, and could still bear his weight fine, but it was a little 'bent'.  The farmer got fined big time for this infraction.  Meanwhile, other companies, with infratcion after infraction, continue to do business, and just pay the fine (which is small, for them) and go on violating.

You speak of Corzine.  Well, here in Nebraska, we had a crook working a scheme where he skimmed investor money (called it 'taking commissions', and put many people in bankrupcy.  Turns out, his 'commisssions' caused the investors accounts to drop to LESS THAN ZERO, and the people wound up OWING big money when the scam imploded.  I have heard that had the thing not imploded ( due to the big market drops, and people wanting to pull out some money, and it not being there).  I can't go into detail because it isn't through the courts yet, so I won't know much until the end outcome, but he skimmed several million off the top, that just 'disappeared', far as I know.  Here is the kicker.  When authorities started looking into it, he had done a very similar thing before, and SHOULD have gone to jail, but it seems that the 'how will putting him in jail benefit society' crowd won out, and he got off paying fines of LESS than he skimmed off the first time.  Had he gotten away with it (and he may well have, had things not crashed, exposing his house of cards) he would have been filthy rich.  The way it turned out, several people were thrust into instant bankrupcy, because he somehow got the losses attatched to the investors, while running off with millions in 'fees and commissions'.  The courts are still trying to sort it out, but had he been in jail the FIRST time, this never would have happened.  If I had my way, he'd be paying everyone back one license plate at a time.