cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Brit care failing

This is what we have to look forward to. This is the single payer system at work. Harry Reid says we will have a government option, and we all know that is just a stepping stone to the single payer system. Repeal. Repeal now before it is too late. We need to reform the system in such a way that will put the patient in charge of an ever increasing portion of their bill. Competition is what delivers a quality product at a competitive price. Governments can defend counties, build bridges, and string electric wires but are an object failure when it comes to managing peoples lives.

snip-

Some of the most common operations — including hip replacements and cataract surgery — will be rationed as part of attempts to save billions of pounds, despite government promises that front-line services would be protected.

Patients’ groups have described the measures as “astonishingly brutal”.

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph has uncovered widespread cuts planned across the NHS, many of which have already been agreed by senior health service officials. They include:

* Restrictions on some of the most basic and common operations, including hip and knee replacements, cataract surgery and orthodontic procedures.

* Plans to cut hundreds of thousands of pounds from budgets for the terminally ill, with dying cancer patients to be told to manage their own symptoms if their condition worsens at evenings or weekends.

* The closure of nursing homes for the elderly.

* A reduction in acute hospital beds, including those for the mentally ill, with targets to discourage GPs from sending patients to hospitals and reduce the number of people using accident and emergency departments.

* Tighter rationing of NHS funding for IVF treatment, and for surgery for obesity.

* Thousands of job losses at NHS hospitals, including 500 staff to go at a trust where cancer patients recently suffered delays in diagnosis and treatment because of staff shortages.

* Cost-cutting programmes in paediatric and maternity services, care of the elderly and services that provide respite breaks to long-term carers.

The Sunday Telegraph found the details of hundreds of cuts buried in obscure appendices to lengthy policy and strategy documents published by trusts. In most cases, local communities appear to be unaware of the plans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7908742/Axe-falls-on-NHS-services.html

1 Reply
Senior Contributor

Re: Brit care failing

I agree 100% we needed to something about ever rising health care costs that are putting a real squeeze on individuals as well as businesses plus try to do a better job providing health care for all.  However I'm not sold yet that our recent reform plans will do much in the way of lowering health care costs or improving care.  If we lower health insurance cost by giving out tax payer provided subsidies to lower and middle income citizens I question if we are truly lower the costs.  Looks more like cost shifting then actually addressing why cost keep rising faster then peoples incomes.

I do give the governmnet credit for its recent cracked down on Medicare and Medicaid fraud including several crooked doctors.  I think increasing the money spent investigating fraud is money well spent as it should help make these criminals and especially doctors think twice about getting involved when they know the government is agressively investigating cases of fraud and abuse.