cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Bruce, I hope that you made it trough the tornadoes, OK.

I heard on the news that Minn. had 39 twisters touch down last evening...new one day record. I hope that they missed your place.

I am having a harder time typing this,,,, I yanked my left arm out of its socket by slipping off one of my hay wagons Tues, night.  Won't be able to see the orthopedic surgeon til Monday morning.  Not easy to type with one hand.

Hope everyone stayed safe in the nasty storms.

4 Replies
Advisor

Re: Bruce, I hope that you made it trough the tornadoes, OK.

Not in the path but had a bunch of wind and rain,,,wondering about Red Steele?  I'm guessing he might have been in the thick of it if his handel refers to his general location.

Veteran Advisor

I am fine, thanks for the concern. Just a few bb's on the crops, but my mother had golf ball to baseball sized hail in the town where she lives, and some house damage. Hundreds of dented up cars, and the area is already declared a catastrophe. The insurance company said they would not be calling back until next week.

A storm like this is why you carry crop insurance....not that you make any money over the premium, but you don't have your stomach lining wear out from stress worrying about events like this.

Although, the free market side of me thinks the government does overdo the subsidy. there should be some sort of limit on how big of an operation gets subsidized. Probably at a level somewhat  smaller than the level I farm at. I am about ready to break up my operation into smaller units anyways. Give more people the chance to farm....spread out the number of owner operators. Smaller farms, with more livestock on local farmsteds.  I think factory farms are a bad deal, and would probably disappear with true free market influences due to the amount of risk involved.

Honored Advisor

I went through Conger Mn on the way to I-90. It`s terrible, national guard were blocking some roads so folks can clean up. Roofs off some houses, one crew was putting tar paper on a shingless roof to minimize rain damage. Saw 2 Harvestor silos on their sides plus many houses and machine sheds destroyed. On the way to Albert Lea on I-90 it looked like Hi-Yield business had a couple caved in bins. Swath of hail knocked the crap out of some corn and beans that probably looked pretty good the day before. Another 20 some miles south and I would be the one talking to the insurance man. Heard of one death because of the storm. I just hope everyone did have insurance.  

Senior Contributor

I agree on the insurance I am small farmer. 200 acres all in one section. Because my land is all in one section I pay three times the rate of a larger farmer who has land over many sections and gets the cheaper rate. So I am subsidizing him  That extra 2500 dollars hurts the gross and net  big time. I am sure there many in the same boat. Have a good day