cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Bruce- automatic earth

http://www.postcarbon.org/blog-post/2262281-iea-says-the-party-s-over

"It will require $48 trillion in investments through 2035 to meet the world’s growing energy needs, the International Energy Agency said Tuesday from Paris. IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven said in a statement the reliability and sustainability of future energy supplies depends on a high level of investment. “But this won’t materialize unless there are credible policy frameworks in place as well as stable access to long-term sources of finance,” she said. “Neither of these conditions should be taken for granted.”

Makes me wonder if Illargi hasn't been right all the time, that yes there's oil but it will suck so too much capital out of the world to get it, and every time the oil market rallies high enough to make it pay, it kills the economy, which kills demand and the price. A vicious circle.

I'll duck out and see what our vrsion of the Mayan Forestry Council has to say.

11 Replies
Advisor

Re: Bruce- automatic earth

Not to worry. 30's market solution has got us covered. 0 investment and just remember to live right and pay proper homage. And take care to remember that the vast majority of those around you, and most certainly those others who are "away" from you, aren't inherently worth saving anyway. All will be provided.
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:
Not to worry. 30's market solution has got us covered. 0 investment and just remember to live right and pay proper homage. And take care to remember that the vast majority of those around you, and most certainly those others who are "away" from you, aren't inherently worth saving anyway. All will be provided.

No, what we need to do is let the oil and gas in the ground, subsidies GE for putting up Chinese made windmills, raise energy prices so high the poor can not afford heat so they can die off leaving the earth to the elite progressives like Big Algore.

Advisor

nah- energy will be free to us poor schlepps just like free cell phones  etc. etc. etc.

Veteran Advisor

Well, surely you and the hide have an opinion--other than the smartazz one, on how to handle the energy problem??? You always have an opinion on everything else.
Advisor

'Makes me wonder if Illargi hasn't been right all the time, that yes there's oil but it will suck so too much capital out of the world to get it, and every time the oil market rallies high enough to make it pay, it kills the economy, which kills demand and the price. A vicious circle.' does that conflict with Keynes, I thought all spending was good? broken windows and all.
Advisor

yeah i got one--lets have the epa quit shutting powerplants down

Veteran Advisor

So does that mean we can't have the clean air and water AND energy?? Sounds like a typical gop/teaparty plan. Keep the fat cats fat and who cares if later generations enjoy the great outdoors! They can of course as long as it doesn't cost us money! The rightwing is fond of saying that "freedom isn't cheap"! Well, neither is protecting the environment!!!!!
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
So does that mean we can't have the clean air and water AND energy?? Sounds like a typical gop/teaparty plan. Keep the fat cats fat and who cares if later generations enjoy the great outdoors! They can of course as long as it doesn't cost us money! The rightwing is fond of saying that "freedom isn't cheap"! Well, neither is protecting the environment!!!!!

We have clean air and water. We can't have cheap energy because of the man made global warming climate change and disruption hoax.

Advisor

http://www.thenation.com/article/164497/capitalism-vs-climate

A good old piece from Naomi Wolf. As she points out, deniers are almost certainly wrong about the science (both climate and depletion) but don't care, it is about the very serious economic and political shifts that would accompany a serious effort to confront either.

And liberals are mostly in denial of that reality.

"Here’s my inconvenient truth: they aren’t wrong. Before I go any further, let me be absolutely clear: as 97 percent of the world’s climate scientists attest, the Heartlanders are completely wrong about the science. The heat-trapping gases released into the atmosphere through the burning of fossil fuels are already causing temperatures to increase. If we are not on a radically different energy path by the end of this decade, we are in for a world of pain.

But when it comes to the real-world consequences of those scientific findings, specifically the kind of deep changes required not just to our energy consumption but to the underlying logic of our economic system, the crowd gathered at the Marriott Hotel may be in considerably less denial than a lot of professional environmentalists, the ones who paint a picture of global warming Armageddon, then assure us that we can avert catastrophe by buying “green” products and creating clever markets in pollution."