cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

CO2 highest rate increase

Latest numbers show CO2 has had the highest rate increase over a year since records kept.

Level expected to stay above 400 ppm for the year and for the first time over a 12 month period.

http://earthsky.org/earth/el-nino-drives-fastest-co2-increase-on-record

Climate scientists report that the human-caused rise in atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide is getting an extra boost this year from El Niño, resulting in the fastest annual increase of CO2 levels on record.

According to a paper published June 13, 2016 in the journal Nature Climate Change, 2016 will be the first year with concentrations above 400 parts per million (ppm) all year round. Even if human emissions began to decline, say the scientists, concentrations will likely remain above this point for at least a human lifetime.

25 Replies
HortonGordelson
Senior Contributor

Re: CO2 highest rate increase

Good, we'll have good yields this year.
hardnox
Advisor

In theory higher CO2 concentrations ought to benefit C3 plants (soy, wheat rice) more than C4's- corn, sorghum, sugarcane.

A slightly different metabolic pathway for photosynthesis.

The influence would be expected to be slight and probably overshadowed by things like hybridization.

Nice if it were true that terrestrial plant populations could absorb a rapid increase in CO2 but they can't, particularly since the most important component- tropical rainforest- is shrinking.

BTW, I've been posting at Marketing some charts and maps regarding some thoughts about what climate might have in store for us this season.

The elephant in the room (which I won't bother to consider there) is the 13 straight months of record high global temps. The time may come when all of those historical comparisons become moot.

My SWAG thinking is that a major driver is low sunspot activity in what is already a low sunspot long cycle. That should moderate the possibility of all out drought a bit but also suggests an interesting "what if?"

If sunspot activity turns higher one of these years we may fry quickly.

hardnox
Advisor

The 2012 drought hit the peak of the 12ish year sunspot cycle right on the nose, even though it was a very low peak, and now falling further.

8 years out might be fun.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

hardnox
Advisor

Although the Maunder Minimum lasted about 70 years, the Dalton around 40.

So while I'm aware that any such musings will draw withering scorn from those who deny all, it is an interesting prospect.

What if global temps are moderated by the sunspot cycle for a few while we proceed to a CO2 level of 500ppm or above, and then we return to more normal solar activity?

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Everyone that is greatly concerned about this topic should never reproduce, or better yet, take themselves entirely out of the living realm. 

You will be doing The Earth a great service. 😃👍

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well that is a relief, `the Sun causes global warming`..then there is nothing we can do ...party on Wayne!  We don`t have to vote for Tom Steyer endorsed candidates.

I don`t care anyway, AgJudge has a pretty grim future predicted for me.  Like I say, if I know my car is going to be stolen at midnight, why bother changing oil and topping off the gas tank now?

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Ag-Forum/How-did-we-do-it-before-Maybe-one-of-you-historical-exp...

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Well, that's an attitude I would expect from someone who doesn't care about the future, the future of the planet, or for the future for their kids and beyond.

Unless you live in that car, and intended to pass it down for generations as a means of income, your analogy is worthless.

I do however like gilligans suggestion of not having kids. You still have the right to, but should be taxed heavily for doing so.

In fact, I should demand a HUGE refund for schooling your snotty kids.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I really, seriously, really hope all you guys are correct, I really do.  However, if we do spend some money to try to better the condition of the planet and you guys are correct, then all that happens is everyone spent a little money for basically nothing.  BUT if you are wrong and we are correct and you won the fight about it and nothing is done and YOU ARE WRONG, then we are all screwed!  Not sure I am that much of a gambler!!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I do care about my and all children`s future, that is why i`m voting for Trump as a last ditch effort to save them.  Under YOUR senario MY kids wouldn`t end up on my land anyway...screw it!  Let it all fry, if there really was anything to the global warming hoax, Nox the smart liberal is telling you "it`s solar activity" well, ride all the bicycles and turn your air conditioner to 80º all you want, you can`t do anything about the Sun.

The story of Samson bringing down the Philistine temple will perhaps help you understand.

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/07/Between-the-Pillars-Revisiting-Samson-and-the-House-of-...