cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: CO2

So, you have no clue what caused co2 levels to rise in the past, but you do know that this time it was man? Well, you are right that it didn't take a rocket scientist to reach that conclusion.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Big Algore school of man made global warm......err.....I mean.....man made climate change.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Samnospam wrote:
So, you have no clue what caused co2 levels to rise in the past, but you do know that this time it was man? Well, you are right that it didn't take a rocket scientist to reach that conclusion.

There are lots of theories on why CO2 was higher in the past but of course we only have acurate records for the past 50-60 years.

Any measure from early times are a ball park figure and cna only be labelled time wise to a general time period so there is no year to year record but it is accepted that there were much higher levels of CO2 in the past.

I think the one thing that has alarmed the scientific community about our recent past is the rapid increase in CO2. Usually things happen slowly in the earths changes and life forms have time to adapt and the concern now is that things are changing too fast.

Another interesting gas to look at in history is oxygen, the one that we need for our form of life.

Not sure of time periods but billions of years ago there was little oxygen in the atmosphere but some organisms started producing it as a waste product (plants do that now as well as plankton and algie) so for many years the oxygen was quickly tied up by minerals like iron and by organic material and then when these became saturated oxygen quickly increased in the atmosphere and it is believed many aneorobic organisms were wiped out because of the rapid change in the atmosphere.

Now what might a rapid increase in CO2 do to life? 

Highlighted
Advisor

"Usually things happen slowly in the earths changes and life forms have time to adapt and the concern now is that things are changing too fast."

I don't believe that is true for several reasons. I think the frequency of extinction events indicate rapid change. They've found that evolution is often a long period of nothing followed by rapid change. During the pleistocene, fairly recent ecologically speaking, Antarctica went from ice to forest to ice at least 6 times. In arid spots that have never had snow cover they've found actual wood, in Antarctica. Not fossilized, actual wood.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Samnospam wrote:

"Usually things happen slowly in the earths changes and life forms have time to adapt and the concern now is that things are changing too fast."

I don't believe that is true for several reasons. I think the frequency of extinction events indicate rapid change. They've found that evolution is often a long period of nothing followed by rapid change. During the pleistocene, fairly recent ecologically speaking, Antarctica went from ice to forest to ice at least 6 times. In arid spots that have never had snow cover they've found actual wood, in Antarctica. Not fossilized, actual wood.

Yes i remember the wood and it was found quite recently I think.

Don't remember all the details but it was preserved as wood because ?? area stayed dry then cold? Can't remember the details.

One thing though there is no evidence of a quick climate change in Antartica is there.

I would think if the ice melted from the continent again it would take some time AND it would take more time for plants to colonize the ground again.

Speed is relative I guess but so often these changes happen over thousands and even millions of years.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Yeah, I wasn't around 20 million years ago although some days I feel like I must have been.  Since no one else was either, we have no REAL way of knowing.  If you don't think mankind has done things detrimental to the earth, air and water on this planet, you are either stupid or you just think because a democrat is arguing against your belief that you have to say man makes no difference.  I, personally, am not sure which you are.

Highlighted
Advisor

The wood was in an area of Antarctica that is so arid it hasn't seen precip in thousands of years. I believe the time period of Antarctica thawing was measured in 10s of thousand years.
Highlighted
Advisor

They do have REAL ways of knowing what the climate was like, through evidence and reason. They know the co2 levels in the same way. The reasoning that man has done thing to the detriment of life on earth hence climate change is caused by man is logically flawed, your political persuasion is of no bearing.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Continental Drift

@Samnospam wrote:
The wood was in an area of Antarctica that is so arid it hasn't seen precip in thousands of years. I believe the time period of Antarctica having was measured in 10s of thousand years.

The Teutonic plates are always on the move.  The distance between Europe and the Americas grows by a couple of inches each year.  North America is heading south and west toward Australia, so our weather is naturally going to become more tropic over the eons.

Here is a fantastic YouTube presentation of how the Earth has changed over the past 600 million years and how it will look one million years from now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcDed4xVD4

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Please tell me how that is logically flawed.  BTW, I don't and neither does anyone but hardheaded repubs, say that man CAUSED anything.  Man CONTRIBUTES with his actions.