cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sellerbe
Contributor

Can you visualize your vacant Public School?

That's the dream of Betsy DeVos, Trump's nominee for the Education Dept. A real piece of work!

The wife of an Amway billionaire, she has spent her entire life as a foe of public education. DeVos has never taught, attended, or sent her children to public schools, and she is sometimes attacked as knowing nothing about education.

That's not strictly true; she knows how to destroy it, and has worked hard to do so in Detroit. Detroit Public Schools, she argued, should simply be shut down and the system turned over to charters, or the tax dollars given to parents in the form of vouchers to attend private schools.

Michigan Board of Education President John Austin told the Detroit Free Press “Devos’ agenda is to break the public education system, not educate kids, and replace it with a for-profit model.” Bottom line, she wants to steer government money away from traditional public schools.

Trump picked her to fulfill the GOP's long-held dream of dismantling the Department of Education. She doesn't have to be competent. She just has to be willing to get rid of the Department she is going to lead. And, by her record and resume, she will do that gladly.

She is a product of evangelical schools and Calvin College, and has had ties to Christian Dominionist groups and foundations. Christian Dominionism essentially seeks the takeover of all societal and governmental functions. Much like Trump's other cabinet choices, she seems to hate that which she is tasked with protecting and upholding.

At a 2001 gathering of conservative Christian philanthropists, she singled out education reform as a way to “advance God’s kingdom.” School vouchers are part of her program. According to an educational scholar, they originally came into fashion among Southern conservatives seeking to support segregation in schools. But activists soon grasped that vouchers could be useful in a general assault on public education. As Joseph Bast, president of the Heartland Institute, which receives support from a DeVos-funded donor group, explained: “Complete privatization of schooling might be desirable, but this objective is politically impossible for the time being. Vouchers are a type of reform that is possible now.”

She donated $9.5 million to the Trump campaign.

Her approval will be rammed through the Senate on Wed.

14 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Can you visualize your vacant Public School?

We have good public schools around here, I`m not worried, they still sing "Silent Night Holy Night" at the school Christmas concert.  Betsy DeVos sounds pretty good, since Trump picked her, that shows that he`s the real deal.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

I'm not to high on her appointment, but like the rest its just a wait and see. 

I understand she supports vouchers, which would be a very good thing.  The schools need some competition.   Our local school is pitiful.  Nepotism rules the place.  There are good teachers, but they are the exception. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Our local school is small but great, the teachers prepared my kids for college and they`ve done extremely well on the ACTs. #1 Son got a 35 and Daughter a 33, they took the SAT and did excellent with Daughter being a little better on that test.  Since it`s a small school there are areas that need improvement, in biology and Spanish, those going into doctoring will have alot of catching up at university and beyond "hola"  the Spanish teacher could use improvement...alotta improvement.  The principal setup classes at a community college to fill gaps and also online courses that are college credit and no charge to the student.  But the challenge is to train students for jobs that haven`t been developed yet and are 10yrs down the road.

In Iowa the the teachers still have a tie to farming and still have that pro-family tradition, I see many of my kid`s teachers at local Republican events...good people!   But in Ohio, I have a sister in Powell and my nieces seem to be thriving in that community, but the one is only a freshman so time`ll tell.

r3020
Senior Advisor

I thought you progressives liked choice.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

I should just say "don't get me started", a long rant could follow.

Ours is a small rural school district in an economically depressed area,  the local school district is the only thing going.  There are no private schools.    Corporal punishment is the first thing that needs reinstated.   There are kids who get away with serious stuff, like hitting, and cursing at teachers.  They'll get a couple days off, then back at school.    The disruption makes it hard for any learning to take place.  

There are, as there always was, kids who don't want to learn, but the current school system won't hold them back.    The systems solutions seems to be "group" projects.   The teachers assign who belongs in each group, and will place a motivated child with a couple of the slackers.   The slackers do nothing, the smart kid does all the work, they all get the same grade.   The teacher doesn't have to teach those kids.   There is a side benefit to my kids as they've really learned to crack the whip on the lay abouts, A skill that will be an asset in life, but my point would be that the system is doing no favors to those it allows to slide by without learning.   The potential of what the smart kids could learn is also held back.

Cheating is a big problem in the school system and the teachers don't seem to care as they will start a test then leave the room for the duration.

Complaints to the school board about pretty much anything is "lawsuits, we can't change anything because of lawsuits".

The amount of money spent on state and federal mandates, and in the school system chasing federal money is astounding.    The way programs are implemented is shocking.

A free hot breakfast is provided, everyday to any kid that wants it because of local income levels.  Nearly all the hot breakfast is tossed out everyday because they also provide free donuts and pop tarts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

There are handicapped children, who honestly have no place in a school setting.   I'm not talking about the challenged kids who can benefit from the socialization,  I'm talking about kids who require 24/7 attention, who mentally are really not  even there.   The schools have to hire someone to care for the child every moment that they are in the building.    Our local schools have found that the simplest solution is to hire the mother, or the mother's sister, or the mothers best friend to care for the child.  

Okay, there is allot more, but I'll leave it at that.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I think we are reaping what we`ve sown for 50 years now, with each following generation feeling more of the brunt.  One parent and no parent, disfunctional families have become the norm...well what do we expect?  A man doesn`t have much in the way of living wage jobs to support his family "going to the bar" is the only escape.  The Disney Channel and "Grand Theft Auto" video games raise these kids, these kids hept up on HFCS go to the public schools and disrupt it for the discplined students...the whole community suffers and the taxpayer is where the buck eventually stops, with social expenses and footing the prison expenses in extreme cases.

Teachers can`t do their jobs if all the progress they make during the day is unravaled in the evening when the kids go home.  I`ve never walked in a parent`s shoes where they are laid off and can`t get a living wage job and lose the home, I can imagine though and that`s probably why I am so protective of the American worker and the US border.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

I bet you loved Little House on Prairie.

Admit it. You did.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Who didn't?

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

ME !!!

Mr's Olsen's charactor hit a little bit too close to home  lol

And when the one went blind, I rolled and rolled and LOL'd  on the carpet with pathetic laughter.

It was all just too hokey &  stupid.

Just like that "  "Touched by an Angel " series "

PUKE!!