cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: I'm glad we agree, too bad Bart doesn't.....

From the article -

the Department of Energy announced that it would loan more than half a billion dollars through this program to a California-based company, Fisker Automotive, to make luxury electric cars.

Note the word LUXURY that is in that sentance.

Maybe the question should be:  Why do the democrats want to subsidize cars for the RICH, instead of spend the money for the people affected by disaster?  The rich already don't pay enough taxes, why do they need government subsidized cars, as well?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cantor all heart when it comes to disasters.

Despicable behavior like this?

Quote from the article: 

even before the hurricane, Republicans had decided that the President's budget didn't have enough money for the Disaster Relief Fund. So they funded it at $850 million above the President's request. Then as they realized that the damage in places like Joplin, Missouri would put additional strain on the fund, the GOP added the amendment that provided still more disaster assistance and cut funding for Mr. Biden's beloved electric cars.

Note the only thing being cut is the funding for Biden's pet project, LUXURY electric cars (you know, the kind rich people would likely buy), and nothing else is singled out.

Other quote from the article: 

the group Democracy for America exalted, "We're hitting Eric Cantor hard—exposing his call to hold Hurricane Irene disaster relief hostage to more cuts in vital programs, like Medicare and Social Security—with in-district ads all next week."

Notice they say programs LIKE Med & SS, that way you can't sue them for lying, because they didn't say those programs were cut, just that vital programs LIKE them would be cut.  Who gets to define 'vital' and 'like'?

Highlighted
Advisor

If only it was possible to sue a Polpuppet for lying. nt

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

They aren't subsidizing the rich. They are subsidizing the development of vehicles that the rich might buy. They are trying to stimulate the business. The business that employs people and manufactures products the consumer will buy.

Would it be better if the produced cars only the peasants would buy? You unusual logic neb.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If the rich will buy them, venture capital will be easy to find.  

Keep the government out of the it.  We don't need more political "sweet" deals.  If it is viable, and there is a market , it does not need taxpayer dollars.  Only the politician in the middle needs the taxpayer dollars.........................And it will be built overseas where it does not have to deal with insane, never ending government regulation.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Here is my logic, all spelled out nice and simple:

The government does not have infinite money, so they have to prioritize what they spend money on.

I would rather they prioritize helping poor people fix their houses, so they have a livable home, than subsidize a rich person's luxury electric car.  I can't believe you would rather spend tax dollars so a rich white guy can park a new luxury electric car between his Rolls Royce, and Bentley, than help a poor single mother get new shingles for her house.

Now, if you can show me where the government has all this extra money laying around, with nothing else to spend it on, I'd say, pay for both.  Until then, go with the NEED, before the WANT.

Also, the rich tend to buy whatever car they WANT, it isn't so much a deal of what car they can AFFORD.  Using Jay Leno as an example, he has more money invested in a car that he only drives a mile or two every couple of months, than I have spent for every viechle I have ever owned, all added up together.  Do you think that if he REALLY wanted that electric car, he'd say 'NO' because it cost another couple thousand more?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Like the sweet deal the FSA gives you? The purpose is to advance electric cars not to subsidize a rich mans car.

Senior Advisor

Si you claim Obama is creating no new jobs and then batch because he tries to create one.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If you look back through our history you can find quite afew things the private business could have done but didn't. Plus many more things that the public sector has done because goverment gave incentives to do so.