cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Canuck...looking for a neutral observer's opinion

How many God's would it take to keep a good inventory, much less "watch every sparrow" on all of these if they indeed are that many out there.

Found it on the FOXNews website, so I suppose it has to be reliable:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/07/25/nasas-deep-space-camera-locates-host-earths/?test=latestne...

8 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Canuck...looking for a neutral observer's opinion

Well, probably have to get a few like Zeus out of retirement.

Actually an interesting find. Think the assumptions were that other planets like Earth`s size were out there but technology could not `see`them that small.

When you look into a clear sky it kind of boggles the mind just how many `suns` are out there to possibly host a chunk of rock like ours.

BTW thanks for considering me `neutral`

Senior Contributor

Carl Sagan predicted there were mullions and mullions of Earth like planets in the universe. What`s cool is those NASA found planets are in the Milky Way Galaxy. Finding a habitable planet, those with life and those with intelligent life would really whittle the number down. If I remember Cosmos, Sagan predicted maybe a dozen in the universe had intelligent life........still fewer had White people Smiley Very Happy (sorry, couldn`t resist)  What blows your mind is some stars thousands of light years away are dead and still give off light, maybe 500 years from now ...poof! the light will go out.  

Senior Contributor

I guess it all depends on your definition of God and how literal you are about the Bible. I suppose reaction would be all over the board from there is no God, to if there are other planets, to they will not have life equal to humans, to God controlls it all regardless (and some bible quote to go along with that). The truth is probably somethig like "not tellin'."

I would be interested in knowing how life, if there is life, on other planets evolved and if so, what the thinking species is like and even if they have a God. Regardless, we would learn a great deal about ourselves, the theory of evolution and even our religion(s) if we were to be able to learn details about another Earth-like planet.

Veteran Advisor

And the 'picture' they have of those planets is from light or radio waves so it will have been produced hundreds to thousands of years ago.

It would be possible that the planet they just found does not exist any more in real time because of some cataclysmic event.

As I said before it becomes mind boggling to think of space and what all is out there.

What kind of life may have formed on other planets which may have totally different conditions than Earth?

Indeed, look at all the different forms right here that live in conditions that we humans could not survive in.

Veteran Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I guess it all depends on your definition of God and how literal you are about the Bible. I suppose reaction would be all over the board from there is no God, to if there are other planets, to they will not have life equal to humans, to God controlls it all regardless (and some bible quote to go along with that). The truth is probably somethig like "not tellin'."

I would be interested in knowing how life, if there is life, on other planets evolved and if so, what the thinking species is like and even if they have a God. Regardless, we would learn a great deal about ourselves, the theory of evolution and even our religion(s) if we were to be able to learn details about another Earth-like planet.

I would go with the no god theory and yes it would be quite interesting to be able to study another planet with life on it to see how it developed.

It took life, as we know it, a long time to get this far on Earth and I suppose other planets with different resources may have developed totally different from what we think of as 'life'.

There is natural asphalt deposits on an island in the Caribbean with life in it. Forget all the details non oxygen using I think and eats the asphalt for energy.

See if I can find a link to the correct info but the possibilities of strange life forms on all these other planets I would expect are tremendous. 

Hi Bruce,

That makes me think of something-

I highly recommend the novel "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell.

It is Sci-fi, sort of, but like good Sci-fi just uses it as a device to tell a good tale.

Story is about a Jesuit mission to explore a planet where intelligent life has been identified. It is actually somewhat secular in tone but quite moral.

FWIW, h

Veteran Contributor

Why do you beleive what was written about Nero, Ceasar, or whomever, but not what was written about God? 

It's almost like you think the proof of other life is proof there is no God.  You seem to get great enjoyment from any little thing that you think disproves the existance of God.  Would the proof of God's existance scare you?  

Maybe he's like a gardener and just plants the seeds and lets free will take over and see who has faith enough to grow and replant his ideas. 

You have every right to not believe, but it seems to me you only talk about the Christian religon, do you feel the same about the Muslim faith and their worship of allah? 

I'm not bashing on you, cause it is honestly hard for me to understand living without believing.  

Veteran Advisor

@Midwest1959584 wrote:

Why do you beleive what was written about Nero, Ceasar, or whomever, but not what was written about God? 

It's almost like you think the proof of other life is proof there is no God.  You seem to get great enjoyment from any little thing that you think disproves the existance of God.  Would the proof of God's existance scare you?  

Maybe he's like a gardener and just plants the seeds and lets free will take over and see who has faith enough to grow and replant his ideas. 

You have every right to not believe, but it seems to me you only talk about the Christian religon, do you feel the same about the Muslim faith and their worship of allah? 

I'm not bashing on you, cause it is honestly hard for me to understand living without believing.  

Hi Midwest; Guess you missed my explanations about the logic of no god soooo....

1st all I believe about Nero and Caesar is what I have read about their part in mankind's history. They were actually men who walked the earth and had a life.

God, any god including Zeus, were just fabrics of mankind's imagination and so far no one has shown any proof that any god exists or has ever existed.

Many gods have existed in peoples minds (belief) through the years and been written about, Many have also had statues and monuments built for them. Some have even had animals and humans killed for them but none has any evidence (real provable evidence) that they ever existed except as an idea or a piece of rock or bronze or marble.

That is logic.

Now I will not stop you from believing if that is what makes you happy but don't get excited because logically I can see no reason to believe.

Please also note I do not only talk about the christian religion. I have the same reason not to believe in any god, Zeus or which ever other one you might imagine.

You should note though that the muslims actually believe in the same god as christians and the jewish religion. The difference is belief in profits.

The problem with any follow through on your beliefs is your good book claims your god just said some magic words and everything popped right up in place but science and many discoveries from the ancient past show how the world as we know it developed.

Now you want to claim some god just planted some seeds and everything grew from that and developed to what we have now.

Pretty amazing that he/she/it could design a seed that started everything. One that would first produce oxygen as a waste product so later other things could come along and breathe oxygen as a fuel.

One that would make so many species 'obsolete' and leave them behind.

That would be some major design powers.

Have you got proof?

Many scientists are waiting.

I find it hard to understand how people can ignore the lack of evidence of any god ever existing.

Have a great day.

Been great here, wheat is done except a little custom work.