cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Canuck said I was wrong

We need to pass the cow fart tax so we don't melt the planet and then we can get to discussion of the real important subject like the fact Bruce Jenner is a girl.

snip-

As Americans prepare for their Thanksgiving Day feasts, there's an issue on the horizon that could make that turkey more expensive: taxing meat to reduce climate change.

Livestock is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, adding about the same amount of emissions as that of all the world's vehicles, according to a new report from the U.K. policy institute Chatham House. But many consumers aren't aware of the link between their dinner plates and climate change, the report notes.

snip-The link between livestock and climate change isn't unknown, given that almost a decade ago the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization warned that the meat in consumer diets was releasing more greenhouse gases than transportation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/should-your-turkey-be-taxed-for-climate-change/

28 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Canuck said I was wrong

Don't think I said you were wrong just not honest in the claim that cow farts were making a difference to green house gases and global temperature.

There used to be millions of buffalo adding to the atmosphere so the cows just replaced that natural source.

The real additional carbon comes from carbon based fuels which have been locked away for millions of years and are now being released by man.

Cow farts is a red hering.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Don't think I said you were wrong just not honest in the claim that cow farts were making a difference to green house gases and global temperature.

There used to be millions of buffalo adding to the atmosphere so the cows just replaced that natural source.

The real additional carbon comes from carbon based fuels which have been locked away for millions of years and are now being released by man.

Cow farts is a red hering.

No. Science says animal meat production adds more polluting carbon the the atmosphere than burning fossil fuels. And what is science's answer to the problem. Tax meat so the poor can not afford to eat meat, it is to be reserved for the elite ruling class.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Are you sure that is what is said?

Quick look found this about the US greenhouse gas emissions and agriculture as a whole only contributes 9% then you break it down and how much is produced by cow farts?

Then what I was poiting out was the fact there were millions of buffalo running wild in North America that produced green house gases before cows were introduced so the net impact from replacing those buffalo with cows is minimal.

The problem still comes back to people burning the remnants of dinosaurs from millions of years ago.

http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources/agriculture.html

Agricultural activities - the cultivation of crops and livestock for food - contribute to emissions in a variety of ways:

Various management practices for agricultural soils can lead to production and emission of nitrous oxide (N2O). The large number of different activities that can contribute to N2O emissions from agricultural lands range from fertilizer application to methods of irrigation and tillage. Management of agricultural soils accounts for over half of the emissions from the Agriculture sector.*
Livestock, especially cattle, produce methane (CH4) as part of their digestion. This process is called enteric fermentation, and it represents almost one third of the emissions from the Agriculture sector.
The way in which manure from livestock is managed also contributes to CH4 and N2O emissions. Manure storage methods and the amount of exposure to oxygen and moisture can affect how these greenhouse gases are produced. Manure management accounts for about 12% of the total greenhouse gas emissions from the Agriculture sector in the United States.
Smaller sources of emissions include rice cultivation, which produces CH4, and burning crop residues, which produce CH4 and N2O.

http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/images/ghgemissions/sources-agriculture.png

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

BTW if you read the link you will note that those gases have been increasing in the last few years because of liquid manure handling however with cost of fuel and incentives (those may include taxes on emissions) impacting bottom lines more farms will try to capture that methane and use it instead of release it.

Examples of farms doing this are around already.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

BTW if you read the link you will note that those gases have been increasing in the last few years because of liquid manure handling however with cost of fuel and incentives (those may include taxes on emissions) impacting bottom lines more farms will try to capture that methane and use it instead of release it.

Examples of farms doing this are around already.

snip-

Our appetite for meat is a major driver of climate change. Reducing global meat consumption will be critical to keeping global warming below the ‘danger level’ of two degrees Celsius. The livestock sector accounts for 15 per cent of global emissions, equivalent to exhaust emissions from all the vehicles in the world. - See more at: https://www.chathamhouse.org/publication/changing-climate-changing-diets#sthash.Vw6RAyqF.dpuf

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

The same carbon based fuels that you use to fly down to The Bahamas each winter?

image.jpg

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Say, if we're releasing the carbon that has been sequestered doesn't that mean it was previously free in the atmosphere?  So things are just returning to what could be normal for another time?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Gawd, what are you a 9 year old ?

That's like saying no one can EVER mention a drought if they continue to drink water.

SIlly and Stupid !

drought.jpg

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

hypocracy