cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Capitalism and business decisions

Do the people that make decisions for big corporations really feel the same way about their decisions as a person that actually owns a business?

I think a large amount of corporations have complete disconnects from the financial resposibility of risk control compared to individuals making decisions about their own business.   Where is the marketplace incentive for the average person anymore?  Can I say its fascism?

3 Replies
Advisor

Re: Capitalism and business decisions

Are you aware of this Greg? First I've heard of it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/18/usda-meat-industry-antitrust_n_618084.html

This snippet is classic:

"They're basically trying to roll back time," said Mark Dopp, policy director for the American Meat Institute. "This rule attempts on many levels to undercut all the progress that's been made" in the meat industry.

...who then goes on to say:

Dopp said he needed to read the new regulations before saying how the institute would respond.

Intersting to ssee that AFBF is supporting the rule. I've never been able to understand how you could have stayed hooked up with that outfit, but maybe you are having some inflluence on somebody.   Smiley Wink

Senior Contributor

Yes, heard about the GIPSA work for some time now.  I'd like to say I had some influence on that one also but its doubtful.  Our Small Farm Commission was pushing for those issues back in the late 90's.  I'm a huge fan of the fact that we shouldn't be subsidising agriculture.  But because we have and continue to I think the American people deserve some social benefits for that money.  I also think that the government owes it to every man, woman, and child that they get a fair chance in the marketplace.  I also think that we should have never let any corporation in any industry, agricultural or not, to ever get too big to fail or to get too big to influence the market in their industry.  Capitalism cures most problems.  We don't have competitive markets and capitalism.  When the government allowed the marketplace to push out the little dairies and the little sow operations not because they couldn't compete but because they can't get the same prices in the market place is the day capitalism died in agriculture.  We are down to the last generation of commodity agriculture producers in this nation.  Anyone that thinks otherwise has their head shoved somewhere and it isn't in the sand.  I know from personal experience that the opportunities in agriculture have never been greater but the opportunities take a huge toll on the quality of life that farming once presented.

I'm not very active in FB anymore but was at one time.  Let me just say that their anti-anyone farming different mantra is somewhat different in this state compared to some and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that its hard to tell people with a straight face that animals can't be raised any different than the "efficient" way when one of your members happens to be the largest pastured poultry operation in the country.  Farm Bureau's message would be completely different all across the country if I could just get some more sustainable ag types that actually have decent sized family supporting farms to join the ranks and become active.  The organization really is run by those that show up and I've seen lots of times that necessarily isn't full time farmers.  Its normally an awful lot of gray haired individuals  that are being spoon fed policy from a handful of right wingers that somehow have all the time in the world to attend meetings all over the place.

Honored Advisor

A big problem in the livestock sector is the additude of most would be young farmers. Those of us that started 25 and longer years ago would build A-frame huts and start with 50 sows with a 560 IH to grind feed and haul manure. The 20 somethings today would sooner jump off a cliff than go through that. If they`re interested in hogs they go to Christianson and make their Faustian deal. They want new pickups to drive to their sites with shiny, pretty, long, smelly buildings. I raise hogs for a niche natural pork market. I`ve asked the company fieldman if any young blood wants to raise hogs this way. He says he`ll give a talk at a animal science class at colleges and if he`s lucky maybe a couple students will have any interest at all in niche pork. I give the youngsters credit, they do find ways to get in the big pork business. I do agree unless there`s some profound paradigm shift, we are down to the last independent producers  Smiley Sad