cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Car kills

While we, the public, wait for answers as to just why a maniacal event occurred yesterday, it is in these moments that we should take a step back and ponder what we as individuals and as a collective can do in response to this crisis.

First the weapon used in this travesty, a car, should be addressed by POTUS. Executive action can and should be taken to ban to cars. However, since the American culture has been built up around readily available cars for any person, perhaps other common sense steps can be taken.

1) Ban fast acceleration vehicles. We can limit acceleration to something similar to a golf cart. That way citizens who have chosen to go without cars may have a chance to react when a person decides to use these weapons on our streets.
2) Create car free zones where no cars are allowed. We can put up signs "no driving, no cars, or no parking" may be needed. With 2 billion or so dollars we can easily post signs plainly and visibly where cars are not allowed. Like sidewalks.
3) We should limit the fuel that cars run on. High octane variants and other uncommon fuel types should be harder to obtain. Jet fuel, diesel, and the more common Premium fuel should come in limited amounts and a higher tax rate on these fuels may hinder those who wish to do us harm with their cars.
4) Lastly, congress should spend 2016 strongly considering legislation that may compel Americans to demand that registration and licensing policies should be implemented so that better prevention of terrible tragedies like this may be prevented.

28 Replies
Senior Contributor

Before you get all crazy

Do these "car" things, whatever they are, require someone to take a test of some sort before they can operate one? If not, that would be a good first step. An additional step might be for someone to have to have a license in order to operate one. That license should not be good for life, but rather renewable on some basis so that we can make sure the operator has good mental faculties, sight and has not had their license revoked. If someone abuses the car thing, say gets drunk and drives it or gets in trouble with the law for driving it dangerously, their license should be revoked and they should be banned from using the "car" things. Heck if they are mentally unstable we could keep them from driving a car. Another useful tactic could be to require insurance to use one. This way if they hurt someone else or are simply inattentive, they would have to pay. This might also keep people who have no business driving from owning a car in the first place since there would be money involved to have one beyond just buying one. You could also increase the insurance cost say if the car was really fast or overpowered because they do indeed cause more risk - the faster you go, the more damage you can do, so it makes sense for it to cost more to own.

Those are just a few common sense ideas since a car can indeed be deadly as you have said.

Senior Contributor

Re: Before you get all crazy

Yes Knapper, those are all very good common sense ideas that the vast majority of law abiding American citizens already abide by.  It should make you take pause that all of those very good common sense ideas already in effect didn't hinder some crazy person wishing to cause bodily harm and death on her fellow citizens.

Veteran Advisor

What would the founding fathers have said?

Just like runaway horses didn't have the killing power of a modern car or SUV, the single shot muskets that are repeatedly brought up to try to debase the 2nd Amendment ( that's how it is spelled , btw) lack the range and power of modern weaponry.

Personally I think George Washington would have loved a modern car, to go with his private arsenal of weapons.

Veteran Advisor

Forget it Whoboy, you lose! If guns had even half the requirements that a car does, thousands of lives would be saved every year!!

Senior Contributor

I think my point went over some heads....I tend to want to believe people understand irony.

Veteran Advisor

Everything goes over whoboy's head!

Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I think my point went over some heads....I tend to want to believe people understand irony.

Point being machines don't kill, people do. A car can be used as a deadly weapon.

Senior Contributor

That is certainly not my point. What you are saying is inane and kind of like saying, "Farmers don't grow corn, corn plants do."

Senior Contributor

The point is Knapper, no matter how many regulations you put on law abiding citizens, those who wish to kill will find a weapon and find a way pretty much unemcumbered.