cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Carried interest and Mitt Romney's 13% tax rate

an article that shows the bi-partisan support for keeping carried interest taxed at preferential rates. Personally, I don't agree with the preferential rate, but both the Democrats and Republicans get plenty of bribes...err...I mean Lobbying money...to keep it in the tax code.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/mitt-romney-style-income-under-tax-scrutiny-again-87260_Page3....

Combined with spending cuts, targeting some of the more odious abuses in the tax code would do a lot to help shore up the US budget and erase the deficits. But the biggest obstacle is securing the border and stopping more EIC recipients from entering or staying in the USA, and getting the "disabled" and "section 8" denizens back to productive work. 

17 Replies
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Carried interest and Mitt Romney's 13% tax rate

And let's not forget the lie of a Romney 13% tax rate.

UNIranch
Senior Contributor

Re: Carried interest and Mitt Romney's 13% tax rate

What was his tax rate that year?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Mitt Romney paid a 30% tax rate.

I guess that one can divide the enlightened people from the Low Information Voters by whether they think Mitt Romney paid 30% tax rate or a 13% tax rate.

Here is the reason that Mitt Romney paid a 30% tax rate, Low Infoers won`t want to understand it, but to those that do here it is.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/08/20/mitt-romney-paid-30-not-13-in-federal-income-ta...

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Mitt Romney paid a 30% tax rate.

Sounds like Common Core math to me! Why the big deal now? Really makes NO difference at all now!
UNIranch
Senior Contributor

all money in circulation is taxed many times over...and who cares what Rmoneys tax situation is...thats not why he lost that election...if the far right wing didnt tie him up into knots to the point where he would have to say this"I cant remember what I said but I stand behind whatever it was" I would have voted for him...but to win the primary his handlers made him into something he wasnt...the 2016 R primary is set up for the same thing to happen...you guys keep shooting yourself in the foot...READY AIM FIRE!

r3020
Senior Advisor

@UNIranch wrote:

all money in circulation is taxed many times over...and who cares what Rmoneys tax situation is...thats not why he lost that election...if the far right wing didnt tie him up into knots to the point where he would have to say this"I cant remember what I said but I stand behind whatever it was" I would have voted for him...but to win the primary his handlers made him into something he wasnt...the 2016 R primary is set up for the same thing to happen...you guys keep shooting yourself in the foot...READY AIM FIRE!

Romney didn't win because he is a big government liberal who instituted Romney care.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Nothing more than the old "dynamic scoring", the right used to show, "trickle down economics" worked, which now if you have a brain, knows it didn't, doesn't, and never will work!! Look to Kansas!

UNIranch
Senior Contributor

Romneycare helped folks in his state become responsible for their own healthcare...yup...thats big Government...who was paying for that before R care?...yup...you and I...dont tell me you are going to get stuck here too 20!

OKdon
Senior Contributor

In the first place, $3 million to charity is hs choice. Mainly because he would rather support the church than the government which he sought to run. Kind of tells you where his priority lie.

Secondly, the corporate taxes were paid by the corporation not Mitt Romney. Mitt didn't write the check nor is responsible for the corps obligations. One of the beneficiaries of one of the farm trusts I manage, asked me why they couldn"t deduct interest and taxes from their farm on their personal income tax. In the first place the farm does not belong to them. The farm belongs to the trust and all income and expense of the farm belongs to the trust. The beneficiaries are entitled to the distributions from the trust after all the income and expenses are calculated and taxes paid.

If you are filing an individual income tax you are paying the taxes owed and that is your responsibility. If a business you own is operated in a seperate corporation, the taxes the corp pays is taxes owed by the corp and not your personal obligation. Now mitt can escape all that by not functioning within a corporation. He can do like you or I do by running our personal business without the shelter of a corporate entity.