cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Carter blames Ted

I see on the NBC news last night where Carter is coming out with a new book and in it he claims we would have had universal health care coverage decades ago if not for Ted Kennedy.  Carter says Kennedy viewed him as an arch rival and did not want Carter to be succesful.

"The fact is that we would have had comprehensive health care now, had it not been for Ted Kennedy's deliberately blocking the legislation that I proposed," Carter said in the interview. "It was his fault. Ted Kennedy killed the bill."

Carter's interviewed will be on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Carter blames Ted

This is very interesting. I will be watching 60 minutes. Teddy is Don's hero. Wonder why Carter waited till Ted died to bring this up.

Senior Contributor

Ted Kennedy had to be one of the most disgusting human beings that ever lived. You really insult Don by mentioning that Don would idolize anyone that lowly.

I think Jimmy Carter was pretty clueless about how to be a successful US President, but he is a decent man. Maybe he waited because he did not want to call the lowlife out while he was still alive.

And I apologize for speaking ill of the dead...it is against my policy, but in this case I cannot refrain.

Senior Contributor

Don always had nothing but glowing words for ole Teddy. They were good buds.

Senior Contributor

Carter is a coward and a disgrace.  If he wanted to attack Kennedy there was ample time prior to Kennedy's death.  Carter runs around the world enforcing hatred for America. 

Senior Contributor

nothing like blameing a dead democrat ---but ole teddy was a pretty bad person when he drowned a pregnant girl

Senior Contributor

I think Ted's actions at Chappaquidick were indefensible.  However I have some serious problems with the wording of your comment.  "but ole teddy was a pretty bad person when he drowned a pregnant girl."  

By saying "he drowned a pregnant girl" seems to imply that Kennedy intentially caused the drowning of Ms. Kopechne.  I have seen no evidence suggesting her death was intentional and all reports I have read suggestion nothing more then a tragic accident.  Yes you can blame Kennedy for driving off the bridge, making poor choices after the accident and quite possibly driving under the influence at the time but I don't think one can accurately claim he intentionally drowned the young lady.

I have read several articles and reports about what happened that night I have never seen any real evidence showing Mary Jo Kopechne was pregnant at the time of her death. Simply because someone starts a rumor in a book or web site does not equate to hard evidence.

Senior Contributor

I learned one interesting tidbit from Carter's 60 Minutes interview.  Carter claims he had a higher percentage of getting his programs passed through Congress then any recent president with the exception of LBJ.