cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Church Contributions

Are not charitible gifts.  They are for the most part used for promoting the faith expanding the following and building and financing the operations of religious edifices. Plus those churches use government benefits such as police and fire protection and escape those pesky taxes. 

If taxpayer A is deducting $5000 on his 1040 and taxpayer B cannot,  Taxpayer A has a significant advantage in that taxpayer B may want to support somemother cult that is unqualified. Therefore taxpayer B is sending an additional $1500 to the IRS over and above what taxpayer A is sending. A distinct governmental effort to promote religions of any type.  Government is not supposed to create a state religion but the state is promoting all "acceptable religions" by the provision in the tax code.

Now I'm sure that you are strategically opposed to government subsidizing policies that you do not beleive in. Why can't I or people like me be extended the same courtesy? I don't want to subsidize your faith or the promotion of it. Any more than you would want to subsidize the Islamic faith, yet they qualify the same advantages that your faith enjoys.

As matter of fact many of us beleive there would be a christian taliban if not for the the resistance of sane people. By that I mean that some of you put your  religion over and above the rule of law in this country. And you wish to add your religious provisions to american law. Your bibical law should not intrude into federal or state law. Your religion is about guiding you by the teachings of your adopted faith. Not about imposing your philosophy on american law or its people.

Jesus Christ, never went to powers of state with the intent of changing national or state laws. He was trying to change the behavior and mindset of the masses but he did not use the power of state to changes things by fiat. That is significantly different form what todays religious zealots want to do.

13 Replies
rawhide
Advisor

Re: Church Contributions

you really need a hobby to occupy your time. try basketweaving for dummies.com

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What do you disagree with and your logic behind it? Or did it simply pleasure you to make a snotty remark to someone you intensely dislike?

rawhide
Advisor

when i first found this site i thought you were a very intellegent man with reason by the way you posted. then sometime in the past you became bitter because som dissagreed with you. what happened to your reason?  now for the thought question---you talk about the difference between state and federal law and religious law so which is it---murder is against the law or thou shall not kill

as you can clearly see a lot of our laws are based on religious beliefs so in your mind is murder a "state" or religious law?

by the way i will defend your right to believe whichever way you choose.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I'll go you one better, do away with ALL charitable giving deductions. Go to a flat tax where everyone has a fixed standard deduction that would be large enough to include whatever charitable giving that trips your trigger, whether its Negro College fund or the NRA or Lutherans or whatever.

rawhide
Advisor

it's been 1 hour and just as i figured----no response

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Believe it or not, I have other things to do.

Your comment attests to your ignorance. As if society would never have discovered what rules are are good for society, if we didn't have scripture to guide us.  I'll bet you that civilizations in the remotest regions of the world would have figured out that itis better not to steal from each other or murder each other.

Only an arrogant self righteous christian would determine that societies would murder steal and rape wantonly with out the benefit of your divine being issuing rules.  Do you think that none of them were capable of logic before indoctrination by the gospel?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

A standard deduction that reasonable reflects the cost of living. A graduated income tax beyond that tht reflects the ability to pay. Plus no distinction between types of income with all income taxed at the appropriate graduated rate.

Perhaps a 10% rate

15% rate

20% rate

30% rate     With all income subject to a flat 10% SS and Fica tax

To make it more simple If you are in the 10% all of your income is taxes at the 10 % rate

same for all the different rates in that if you qualify for the 20% rate all of your income from dollar 1 is taxed at 20%

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

A standard deduction that reasonable reflects the cost of living. A graduated income tax beyond that tht reflects the ability to pay. Plus no distinction between types of income with all income taxed at the appropriate graduated rate.

Perhaps a 10% rate

15% rate

20% rate

30% rate     With all income subject to a flat 10% SS and Fica tax

To make it more simple If you are in the 10% all of your income is taxes at the 10 % rate

same for all the different rates in that if you qualify for the 20% rate all of your income from dollar 1 is taxed at 20%

Why do you believe all money belongs to the government and you have to come up with new creative ways to figure how much each person should get back?

rawhide
Advisor

like i said i will defend your right to believe things the way you do. but if someone else has a different view than you debate them--don't talk like a pompous ass or expect to be treated as one