cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Coke Ad

I am at a loss as to why so many people object to the ad that the capitalist, non-government, private enterprise company, Coca Cola, ran during the Super Bowl. I thought it was a wonderful commercial. We had people singing one of our traditional songs and honoring our country in four languages, English (which we got from the British), Hindu, Spanish and French. They paid tribute to our country in their native languages - how cool! Plus, as we know Coke would "Like the world to sing in perfect harmony." Their message has always been that their drink appeals to anyone in the world. Their message has been consistent. I would also note that all the images shown were in the US, mostly in the West, encompassing Navajo land, New Mexico and other states.

I suppose those who do not like this should buy Pepsi, but then again, they support gay rights. Perhaps that leaves the most conservative to drink West Virginia tap water - now that spells real freedom! Tea is multinational - so that's completely out!

Maybe some are suggesting that freedome of speech be regulated and private enterprise be restricted?

I may start drinking Coke!

19 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Coke Ad

Okay, I`ll take the bait  Smiley Happy    If you are going to run a ad in tribute the the great people in this country, where was the German, French, Norwegian, Irish, Bohemian, Potuguese, Swedish and others?  most people in this country have German blood.  Why was it just some 3rd world tribute?

BTW if you drink Coke the HFCS will make you fat and lazy, the aluminum can will flake off and give you Alzheimers.  So you were warned.   Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I am at a loss as to why so many people object to the ad that the capitalist, non-government, private enterprise company, Coca Cola, ran during the Super Bowl. I thought it was a wonderful commercial. We had people singing one of our traditional songs and honoring our country in four languages, English (which we got from the British), Hindu, Spanish and French. They paid tribute to our country in their native languages - how cool! Plus, as we know Coke would "Like the world to sing in perfect harmony." Their message has always been that their drink appeals to anyone in the world. Their message has been consistent. I would also note that all the images shown were in the US, mostly in the West, encompassing Navajo land, New Mexico and other states.

I suppose those who do not like this should buy Pepsi, but then again, they support gay rights. Perhaps that leaves the most conservative to drink West Virginia tap water - now that spells real freedom! Tea is multinational - so that's completely out!

Maybe some are suggesting that freedome of speech be regulated and private enterprise be restricted?

I may start drinking Coke!

I don't know why you would be "at a loss". It's very simple that some feel that here, in the US, we should be using English. They see that part of the problem we are having with immigration is that some of those who come here are not adapting to this country's cultures, however fluid that may be. Instead they are living here, yet, living apart.

I think the unhappiness with the commercial is not that they sang the song in their native language, but the thought that a lot of immigrants wouldn't be able to sing it in English.

Senior Contributor

Actually, I drink water and tea. Occasionally Dr. Pepper. I think if we want a war over speaking English (which again we got from the Brits), then we need to leave private enterprise and what they choose to do out of the discussion, uless you want to regulate them..............Coke should do as they please. I still think to have foreign speaking people sing our traditional song honors us because they feel our song, America the Beautiful (1909) is worth learning and singing. If they were singing their ancestral nation's songs, that would be different. This was all about America and learning about our spaceous skys and amber waves of grain. Good way to convert people IMO.

Veteran Advisor

Reminds me of the neanderthal rightie who was standing behind a lady who was talking on the phone in a language he didn't understand. When she got off the phone, he said, "Lady this is America,we speak English. If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico." Where upon SHE said, "I was speaking Navaho. If you want to speak English, go back to England!" Another bitter pill for all you righties is that the author of America the Beautiful was a lesbian! Go suck on that!!
Veteran Advisor

She wrote the first draft in 1893 after visiting the summit of Pikes Peak while she was teaching English at Colorado College in Colorado Springs. These jerks will most likely never sing the song again when they learn Katherine Lee Bates was a lesbian who had a long (25 years) relationship.
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Okay, I`ll take the bait  Smiley Happy    If you are going to run a ad in tribute the the great people in this country, where was the German, French, Norwegian, Irish, Bohemian, Potuguese, Swedish and others?  most people in this country have German blood.  Why was it just some 3rd world tribute?

BTW if you drink Coke the HFCS will make you fat and lazy, the aluminum can will flake off and give you Alzheimers.  So you were warned.   Smiley Happy

BA, we used to have a landlord who he and his wife neither would drink any kind of pop. They said it caused cancer. They both died in their early 80s of cancer. I like pop. Coke, Pepsi, 7up. But all I ever drink is diet because of diabetes. I would just as soon   e n j o y life now and check out a few years early if that is the price, but that is just me.

I saw the Coke comercial. Didn't make me want to go out and buy it, nor did it make me mad enough not to buy it. I liked the Budweiser commercial much better. But then again I love horses because of my dad. Everytime I see a team hitched to a wagon I think of him. When he died 18 years ago he could still remember the names of the horses of the teams of all of the neighbors they used to thresh with.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I say they can run their commericial in whatever language they want. Let the people decide if they want to buy their product. It must not have been that great because I don't remember it.

Senior Contributor

3020 , So you have diabetes,  I know what your have to put op with ,  I have had it for over 20 yrs.   I was locked into Golden Rule health ins. for those years with year premiun increases.with a final year premiun of $13570.00  with 5,000 deducltable.   I could do nothing but pay pay pay never collecting claim.a dime. great health system

Ever talked to your doc about diet pop

I drove my granddad horse teams many times .   Dude and Queen and Dallas and Prince.    Duke was a lazy stud, like a lot of males  he let Qween do most of pulling (kinda like today farmers)

Senior Advisor

Yes, I talked to doc about diet pop. He said like everything else. Moderation. I still drink a beer now and then. In fact I had one while watching the superbowl.

I was lucky to catch it in time. Yeah, it sucks, but things could be worse.