cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Did you miss don's post?

I disagree.   When a storm went through here, and took shingles off some neighborhood rooves, I went to help.   There were so many people there, if we all were on the roof at once, we probably would have fallen through.

Got a house re-shingled in an afternoon, and all it cost the homeowners for the labor, was a simple lunch, and some lemonade.

There are still pockets of that around, if you know where to look.

 

I think a lot of that disappeared, when this agency or that agency was formed, to take care of people's problems, instead of neighbors.

Now, we hear less and less of 'what can I do', and more and more of 'someone ought to do something'.

Senior Contributor

Re: Did you miss don's post?

'true' communism, is probably good.   The idea of everyone providing for the needs of everyone, as they have the means to provide it.

Much like the idea that 'true' capitalism is good, in that everyone has an equal opportunity to acheieve personal wealth.

The problem with both, is that they get corrupted.  
Capitalsim gets corrupted, when some want not only what they honestly earned, but what they can gain from other's expense.
Commumism gets corrupted, when those who can provide, act like one who needs.

In both cases, you wind up with a ruling class, that lives very well, at the expense of the lower class.

Senior Contributor

Re: Congratulations to the liberals


@r3020 wrote:

@gough whitlam wrote:
schnurrbart Veteran Advisor
Oct 17
You would rather have the country default on the debt?

That is exactly what he wanted but never gave it a thought that 44 would cleverly use it as the repig fault. He once again backed them into a corner and they couldn't see it happening. It is called wedge politics. Remember that 3020

Why do you think I congratulated the liberals? They got everything they wanted and gave nothing. Remember that too because it was not a fluke. 44 is no mug when it comes to wedge politics but it is a shame the gop always win the toss and elect to receive the javelin.!!!!!!!!!!


 

Senior Advisor

Re: Did you miss don's post?


@Canuck_2 wrote:

They do live much as true communism is envisoned just as the bible tells them to.

 

It is a mistake to assume that communism is all bad.

Lots of societies used communism to survive for a long time.

 

The recent examples of communism the world has seen have not all been so great for personal freedom but that is not to say that true communism is 'bad'.

 

The question of course is can true communism exist in our modern society especially with the forces of capitalism tugging at its base values.

That is why so many 'christian' groups have ignored their bibles commands to live a communistic type life style except the Amish and a few other groups.


The Bible is God's word on how to obtain eternal life. We are all free to make our own choices. Amish do not live as communist, when they see a neighbor in need they use their treasure, time, and talent to help that neighbor. They do not get together and vote to force someone else to help that neighbor or face the fury of an overbearing government.

Veteran Advisor

Re: Did you miss don's post?

car insurance used to be that way, BA, at least in MN. You had to show that you had sufficient assets, say like $30,000 in the olden days, and then you could be self insured.

 

As for the Amish, they also have the ability to shun and ignore those heathens that are not deemed worthy of helping. A whole different system, and one that ensures that you don't have slackers.

Senior Contributor

Re: Did you miss don's post?


@Husker-J wrote:

'true' communism, is probably good.   The idea of everyone providing for the needs of everyone, as they have the means to provide it.

Much like the idea that 'true' capitalism is good, in that everyone has an equal opportunity to acheieve personal wealth.

The problem with both, is that they get corrupted.  
Capitalsim gets corrupted, when some want not only what they honestly earned, but what they can gain from other's expense.
Commumism gets corrupted, when those who can provide, act like one who needs.

In both cases, you wind up with a ruling class, that lives very well, at the expense of the lower class.


You sum it up quite well but I think 'capitalism' even when practised as 'true capitalism' will end up with haves and have nots. Just by its nature those who have more ability will end up with everything while those with less end up with little or nothing.

Even to the ability to feed and cloth themselves.

 

True communism will not see that discrepancey in people being able to cloth and feed themselves.

Communism is probably limited to small groups to work correctly.

As you note there will end up being a ruling class especially as the group gets bigger and the temptation is always there for that ruling class to take more and share less when they have the power.

 

An ant hill looks like a form of true communism.

Remember hearing a person who studied ants and how they work together saying there are some ants that work hard all the time and others who shirk their duties, that do not do nearly as much work in a day.

The colony feeds all of them equally, it does not discriminate.

Senior Contributor

Re: Did you miss don's post?


@r3020 wrote:

The Bible is God's word on how to obtain eternal life. We are all free to make our own choices. Amish do not live as communist, when they see a neighbor in need they use their treasure, time, and talent to help that neighbor. They do not get together and vote to force someone else to help that neighbor or face the fury of an overbearing government.


That is fine if you want to believe that sort of thing.

 

I have been pointing out that the Amish come closer to following that command in the bible than other groups of christian believers.

they choose to follow that command while most christians ignore it.

 

No different from all the other commands that believers choose to either ignore or follow but the Amish, as well as some other groups of 'believers' try harder to follow the commands to be  more communistic in their lives.

 

The Hutterites go even further in following the bible teachings.

 

You do not.

 

I am another case and do not follow any of the bible teachings except those that happen to coincide with my understanding of how a good person should live in this crowded world but do not try or claim to follow the bible teachings like many do.

I therefore am not a hypocrite by saying I follow that book when it is impossible for anyone to follow all the teachings/commnads in the bible and be a good person.

Senior Contributor

Re: Did you miss don's post?

Yes, true Capitalism will bring up some people with great wealth.   However, there are countless examples in capitalist society, of capitalists giving great fortunes to charity, starting their own charities, building colleges, universities, etc.

For example, in capitalist countries, when there is a disaster, there are all kinds of private charities that will come to the aid of those affected.

I don't see that with Communism much.

I can't think of any communist version of the Gates foundation, or the Buffett foundation, etc.

Senior Advisor

Re: Did you miss don's post?


@Canuck_2 wrote:

@Husker-J wrote:

'true' communism, is probably good.   The idea of everyone providing for the needs of everyone, as they have the means to provide it.

Much like the idea that 'true' capitalism is good, in that everyone has an equal opportunity to acheieve personal wealth.

The problem with both, is that they get corrupted.  
Capitalsim gets corrupted, when some want not only what they honestly earned, but what they can gain from other's expense.
Commumism gets corrupted, when those who can provide, act like one who needs.

In both cases, you wind up with a ruling class, that lives very well, at the expense of the lower class.


You sum it up quite well but I think 'capitalism' even when practised as 'true capitalism' will end up with haves and have nots. Just by its nature those who have more ability will end up with everything while those with less end up with little or nothing.

Even to the ability to feed and cloth themselves.

 

True communism will not see that discrepancey in people being able to cloth and feed themselves.

Communism is probably limited to small groups to work correctly.

As you note there will end up being a ruling class especially as the group gets bigger and the temptation is always there for that ruling class to take more and share less when they have the power.

 

An ant hill looks like a form of true communism.

Remember hearing a person who studied ants and how they work together saying there are some ants that work hard all the time and others who shirk their duties, that do not do nearly as much work in a day.

The colony feeds all of them equally, it does not discriminate.


There are also haves and have nots in a communist society.

Senior Advisor

Re: Did you miss don's post?


@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

The Bible is God's word on how to obtain eternal life. We are all free to make our own choices. Amish do not live as communist, when they see a neighbor in need they use their treasure, time, and talent to help that neighbor. They do not get together and vote to force someone else to help that neighbor or face the fury of an overbearing government.


That is fine if you want to believe that sort of thing.

 

I have been pointing out that the Amish come closer to following that command in the bible than other groups of christian believers.

they choose to follow that command while most christians ignore it.

 

No different from all the other commands that believers choose to either ignore or follow but the Amish, as well as some other groups of 'believers' try harder to follow the commands to be  more communistic in their lives.

 

The Hutterites go even further in following the bible teachings.

 

You do not.

 

 


Really Canuck, you have no idea of what I do or don't do. I have never treated you with anything except respect.