cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Corn

From what I'm reading, all you grain farmers better hang on this year.  Expecting highest number of acres in corn since WWII.  Won't be seeing that $6 corn then.

18 Replies
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Corn

Actually Bart I just read in Sunday's paper where most of the experts and companies that put out figures on planting expectations all see only about a 3 million acre increase in corn acres while they believe we need 5 million more acres.  The author of the article I read in the Des Moines Register worries that any type of adverse growing conditions through out the crop year will result in a shortage of corn and said it was possible we could see $9 corn by late summer if the perfect storm scenario hits.

This could make those guys now paying $8,000 and $9,000 an acre go well above $10,000 an acre.   I still think we will see the 1980's all over again for some of these guys that think we are now going to see 200 plus bushel yields and over $5 for corn every year.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I don't really know what it was this past year but they said it would be over 92 million acres and that it was the most since WWII.

Samnospam
Advisor

There are already rumors of qe3.
Iowa notiller
Senior Contributor

Last years corn acres were 88.2 million acres. This years average guess is 90.662 million acres. We will all find out Thursday morning at 7:35 am what the real numbers are.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

with frozen ground and snow on a good portion of where increased corn acres would come from, I would think the report is not going to mean a whole lot.  What the weather does for the next six months means a whole lot more than  an 88, 90, or 92 number.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Schnurrbart, when I get the urge to sell I smash a finger.1301441496936.jpg

Iowa notiller
Senior Contributor

You are correct. But, in the mean time if a number above 92 comes down price of corn will go south.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Hasn't that always been the norm, with the crop report? Saw maybe a couple that did the farmer any good. All it was meant to do was put crimp in the price, usually down.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

A whole lotta hay and pasture acres are going to be in row crops this year.... including our place.

I will bet that by this time next year a real nice steak will be over TEN bucks per pound.... if you can get one at all.

That will take care of the deer over population.... deer poachers will be more numerous than the deer are.