cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Packard27
Senior Contributor

Coronavirus: If you are living in a bottom 80% American household...

After only two weeks of an economic national shut down, what do you fear more, getting sick (and dying) with the Coronavirus or facing personal insolvency due to losing your job, maxing out your credit cards, and having little or no rainy day funds to backstop your ongoing rent/food/energy needs?

I am guessing a great number of Americans today might be rethinking their own personal thoughts on risks of prescribed government cures versus disease questions with regard to the Coronavirus crisis. Where this eventually ends, I am no longer quite so confident in my own thinking.

6 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Coronavirus: If you are living in a bottom 80% American household...

If you recently started a restaurant or barber shop, things going good and stuck your neck out and bought a new car, 84 mo, 0% financing.  It`s going to be tough for a lot of folks and the government just can`t make everyone "whole".  Then, we`ve essentially "sheltered in place" for a week or so, do we re-open too soon and risk all the sacrificing done so far? 

I`d rather stay shutdown 2 weeks too long than re-open 2 days too soon.   But there are going to be personal bankruptcies on the other side of this and I don`t know what can be done about that.....or what could`ve been done.

Too many times the weatherman predicts a hurricane people go nuts hoard food and gas and the hurricane never arrives, only 1/4" rain and 30mph wind, so they quit listening to the weatherman.  Then one day the weatherman says a hurricane is coming that will be in the history books as "Katrina" and they party right through it not a care in the world on Bourbon Street ...until they`re swimming in sewer water and end up at the Astro Dome...but "It`s George Bush`s fault!".    Maybe "Brownie didn`t do a good job", but I doubt Brownie poured whisky down anyone`s neck.

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

@Packard27 wrote:

After only two weeks of an economic national shut down, what do you fear more, getting sick (and dying) with the Coronavirus or facing personal insolvency due to losing your job, maxing out your credit cards, and having little or no rainy day funds to backstop your ongoing rent/food/energy needs?

I am guessing a great number of Americans today might be rethinking their own personal thoughts on risks of prescribed government cures versus disease questions with regard to the Coronavirus crisis. Where this eventually ends, I am no longer quite so confident in my own thinking.

I hate to quote a Democrat, but "The only thing that we have to fear, is fear itself"

"Be still, and know that I am God."

Psalms 46:10

I need to listen to God when he says, “Be still, and know that I am God.   I am still in control.   Relax and let me take care of you and all of the problems you are dealing with.”   I need to trust God with all my heart – and lean not on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

How about you tell your PINO to step up to the job he applied for, and do the job of being the President for all of America, which he has never been, Millie.  Your prayers here aren’t going to do any better, the the prayers offered up after all the shootings in America.

We need clear, decisive action.  And someone who is really up to the task of being president - not passing blame, someone willing to ACCEPT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OFFICE, and lead America, and ALL AMERICANS in something other than we have seen the last three years.

This  PINO is not up to the task - you want to pray - pray that someone replaces him soon, so America can start to be restored to the greatness it WAS, before Trump took over.

Jen

bruce MN
Advisor

Just finished partaking of services

On a video stream. The Pastor and a well distance piano player in a empty sanctuary.

One of your Russia, Russia, Russia homies:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1243985956417437696

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Just finished partaking of services

Captain Oblivious' addition to the graveyard whistlin'.

A hundred million cases and couple million deaths would have also been kinda bad for the economy. It's just that people would quit going out or going to work after the bodies were piled high.*

Having failed to strangle it in the crib there are no good options, just less bad ones.

*it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we do anyway, but I'm pretty hopeful the final count will only be a small fraction of that. It's a pretty nasty justaflu.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Just finished partaking of services

Saw a screenshot this morning that showed nearly half of the commercial flights aloft in the world at that moment were over the USA.

I can't be real confident of anything.