cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Coupl Questions:

Who is your favorite foreign leader?   For me, I`m as clueless as Gary Johnson, those I know, I don`t admire.   If France elected Marine LePen, I`d admire her.

Question #2   Would you have dropped the atom bomb on Japan?    The easy answer is yes, I don`t know for sure, I probably would`ve.  Bill O Reilly has a book out `Killing the Rising Sun` and asked all living presidents if they would`ve dropped the bomb Carter and the Bushs said "yes"  Clinton and Obama didn`t answer.   I think Clinton would, but both OReilly and I think Obama wouldn`t.

9 Replies
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: Coupl Questions:

Favorite foreign leader -- more of a loaded question than it appears, don't want to piss off any foreign leaders, generally pros and cons to almost everyone so "favorite" is troublesome wording, are we limited to those currently serving or alive/dead, does it have to be a leader of a country or just a "leader", and does "foreign" mean anywhere in the world besides the US -- it is easy to see how a specific name cannot just pop out without thought -- regardless, if alive, would have to name a close ally of the US; if anyone alive or dead, would still need to name someone who is/was a close ally of the US.  

On the bomb -- none of us were there, it definitely took balls, it likely saved a lot of American lives, it likely prevented bringing the war to continental US, it ended the war, it was a decisive anwer in response to many lives lost and military assets lost due to Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor, yet the bomb was very deadly, many innocents were killed, and it ushered in a new era of very deadly force -- clearly not as easy to answer as it is to ask the question, and Japan is now an ally -- was clearly a very difficult decision at the time, the nuclear age was likely not preventable, and IMHO any American leader worth their salt should say 'yes, it was a difficult decision for the US, it was in response to the devastation at Pearl Harbor, it ended the war, it had horrific results [in terms of loss of life and property in Japan], and we helped rebuild and protect Japan'.  

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

The answer should have been Justin Trudeau , Canada

Only a deplorable would say  they would commit one of the biggest atrocities against humanity, not to mention nature - ever again !

The more I learn about self proclaimed xtians, the more I understand their lack of morality.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Harry S. Truman was a Democrat. 

He gave the "okey-dokey" to vaporize hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children. 

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

AND??????????

Do you understand the QUESTION ?

WCMO
Senior Advisor

On the bomb, the question is not whether one would do it now, but rather what would you have done if you were in Truman's shoes at the time, facing what he faced at the time, knowing what he knew at the time.  After Pearl Harbor, and at that stage of the war, was the US ready and able to repel a Japanese attack on continental American soil, and at what cost, with what damage to American lives and property?  It isn't an easy question to answer without really knowing the alternatives, and perhaps a replay of history to see how it (and the ramifications) might have turned out otherwise, then the 'correct' answer would be clear.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Quite Clear. Crystal Clear. Clear as Clear Lake, Iowa ( Which is no longer clear - full of nitrates, sadly )

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Check history

Check history WCMO about how able Japan was to attack any other country when the bomb was dropped.

The war was decided before the bombs were dropped, all they did was end it quicker without having to land troops on many different beachheads to end it.

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Check history

There is also a considerable degree of opinion, and some conversational evidence, that as an additional part of the decision to use those bombs was as a demonstration to the Soviets. In the event that they had any notions about attempting to drive us out of Europe.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: Japan could have avoided the bombs

All they had to do was unconditionally surrender. I was a young whipper snapper at the time but my brother was in harms way and he might have got to fight his way into Japan and I my not have liked the result.

We elected not to use the nukes in Korea or viet nam but that is a different game when the other side might choose you for a target.