cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: in our situation

we farm quite a lot and need to open our markets to other countries --as to american workers how would it possibly hurt them if they weant a job --the economy is turning into world wide trading so if america wants to play it has to be able to trade with everyone  even tho anything a demoncrat wants is suspect as you can tell by the way they approach this deaL --IF IT IS GOOD FOR AMERICA THE DEMONCRATS WILL BE AGAINST IT --demoncrats are ALWAYS anti american worker as you can tell by taxes

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

well Ollie, the dirty. Secret is we can't compete with slave  labor around the world.  take a look at how they live, I don't want that standard of living here....that is the only way we'll compete is to join the plantation. I say isolate ourselves, look at the trade deficit we're losing.

I think exporting grain is fun too, but there again we aren't the only game in town once Africa Brazil Russia China get going they'll clean our clocks too. 48 row planters with EZ-Steer work in Brazil too. We got/had a good thing going i hate to lose it. Thing is like Custer found out you can't  be a 1% island, sooner or later  the 99% savages get restless then we all lose, that was a he danger in the distruction of the middle class.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

well Ollie, the dirty. Secret is we can't compete with slave  labor around the world.  take a look at how they live, I don't want that standard of living here....that is the only way we'll compete is to join the plantation. I say isolate ourselves, look at the trade deficit we're losing.

I think exporting grain is fun too, but there again we aren't the only game in town once Africa Brazil Russia China get going they'll clean our clocks too. 48 row planters with EZ-Steer work in Brazil too. We got/had a good thing going i hate to lose it. Thing is like Custer found out you can't  be a 1% island, sooner or later  the 99% savages get restless then we all lose, that was a he danger in the distruction of the middle class.

BA, the way I see it we need trade deals. We have to and do trade with other nations. Always have. But we not only need free trade but also fair trade. The biggest trouble I have with this deal is no one is allowed to make it public. The senators are allowed to read it but not disclose it to the public. We don't know if it is a good deal or bad deal, like Obama care we are told we have to pass it to find out what's in it. What crap. Post the dang thing on line. Let the world read it. Then debate the merits and hold a vote.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey 3020, this TPP deal probably isn`t worth worrying about because we are already too far gone, enough factories have moved overseas and too many people are dependent upon the government for their wage.  Here`s a clairvoyant piece written by Pat Buchanan back in 1994 (pre-NAFTA) that sums up my feelings on free trade.

http://buchanan.org/blog/the-isolationist-myth-165   

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

It's not often that I disagree with Pat Buchanan, the chief disagreement from my quarters comes from his inherent racism. Although Buchanan does have a cultural point, and that is that America's success did not come about from importing the African culture, but rather from the European culture. Up to the sixties, our nation was trying to assimilate Africans into adopting European culture and the Christian religion with a pretty good upward trajectory, but since then you can observe for yourself how well that segment of American is faring with leaders such as Kanye West instead of Booker T Washington. But I digress....

I agree with Buchanan completely that America should have never embarked on the globalization race to the bottom, and we should have protected our mfc base. If that involves fair trade tariffs to make the Chinese pay a penalty tariff for their dirty factories and slave labor, so be it.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, I think it was Garvo that condensed it to fit on a bumpersticker "Free Trade isn`t Free".  And that`s about it, those that were in Econ 101 cite "comparitive advantage" and yes is "the coop can spray your crops cheaper than you can own a sprayer and hire your son" then yes, short term you will have more money in your pocket in hiring the coop to do your spraying.  However, what if your son is no longer needed in your operation without the spraying duties?  If the coop only does your spraying then you are beholding to them and at the mercy of their schedule. 

And we see this with jobs created on the national level. 220,000 jobs may be created in one month but they are service low paying jobs, while 10,000 manufacturing jobs are lost.   We just didn`t see this before we bought into this "free trade".   i`m for trade so long as it bennefits this country, if we can`t do something but another country already is and will give us a good dael, then by all means import it.  However, when factories leave the country and those foreign finished goods are then imported back in, there should be a tariff to cover our social costs in retraining and moving our lost workers into a comperable job.

As it is now a factory worker is displaced and works part-time at Dollar General and a pizza joint neither job pays a living wage and neither offers the bennefits of the lost factory job...but by God we can sure buy some cheap crap at Wally World..Whoo-Hoo!

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: pay attn libs, I`m about to disagree/w Ollie

Whatever O's bad reasons are, this may explain why there is so much GOP support:

http://m.thenation.com/blog/207041-could-fast-track-ultimately-destroy-dodd-frank-yes
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: AMERICANS PRICED THEMSELVES OUT OF JOBS

PLAIN AND SIMPLE THEY WANTED TOO MUCH AND GOT WHAT THEY ASKED FOR UNEMPLOYMENT