cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Dad said,

Dad was born a long time ago. He's be 115 today but what he had to say is still relevant.

He said you can't borrow yourself out of debt.   

He said when everybody has a white collar job (college education) who's going to do the work?

He said the government doesn't have any money.

Those truths were true 50 years ago and they still are today.  He also said this country was headed towards being like the "old country."  He was referring to Germany from which the family escaped.

19 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Dad said,

@wehav wrote:

Dad was born a long time ago. He's be 115 today but what he had to say is still relevant.

He said you can't borrow yourself out of debt.   

He said when everybody has a white collar job (college education) who's going to do the work?

He said the government doesn't have any money.

Those truths were true 50 years ago and they still are today.  He also said this country was headed towards being like the "old country."  He was referring to Germany from which the family escaped.

Your Dad is very wise. I wonder why people of today are either, not wise, genetically defective, or general seekers of sin or evil. 

We need someone to knock some sense into this country before it is too late. 

Veteran Advisor

You guys really think everyone would elect to go to college even if it was free? I have a college degree and I delivered mail AND carried hay and feed, mowed, watered, planted, etc.  In other words, I did the work! I know and I'm sure y'all do also, a lot of people who have degrees and work with their hands instead of "white collar" work.  It is ridiculous to even think that would happen!! 

Veteran Advisor

sighs....

not everyone is college material, whether they manage to get a degree or not.

hope this helps.

Advisor

FWIW, Bernie Sanders (or whomever among the enemies of the culture warriors) didn't even remotely suggest that everybody should go to college.

And they actually seem to be concerned about the circumstances of those workers, as compared to culture warriors who merely explain to them how they themselves became so wonderful.

For what little it is worth, it is perfectly OK to develop heuristic shortcuts on how to get through life. It is a bit problematic, though, when that tendency is used for political manipulation.

That agenda is actually pretty complicated too but it is advanced by provoking resentment against everything that falls outside of the volk's deliberately narrowed view.

Senior Contributor

My Dad would have been 90 now, he's been gone 34 years.  One of his favorite sayings was:  There is no free lunch.

Veteran Advisor

Re: sighs....

Most people know if they want to go or should go or not go to college!  You are always insulting but I really don't care!  I used my degree to do a better job raising cattle.  What did you do with yours?  Why don't you use your superior intellect to learn how to pee up a rope!

Senior Contributor

Don't mean to interrupt here Snurrby, but my degree comes from the University of Life and I'm still working on it.  It certainly hasn't been free.

Veteran Advisor

Yeah, well, your progress shows!

Advisor

another grievance

...against those longhairs.

I've known some very well informed and thoughtful people with very little formal education and the opposite- some people with impressive degrees who couldn't think their way out of a box.

Most of the former I've known were voracious readers of newspapers which is a problem as most of our local/state level papers are now McPapers and the substitute tends to be various organs of tribal ideology.

And of course the fact that our politicians now speak to us at a third grade level (republican) or junior high (democrat).

Puke Today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/opinion/the-donald-and-the-decider.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2...

Of course Puke would be kinda one of the ultimate longhair fools- he thinks that austerity isn't stimulative!