cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: another grievance

For graduates of the Zoolander Academy for Kids Who Don't Read So Good, given the noted lack of a real paper of record for keeping abreast of things. The best thing going:

www.nakedcapitalism.com

Daily links and commentary, actually twice daily on weekdays. Not suitable for those of the Read No Evil camp on either the right or left.

Senior Contributor

Re: Dad said,

It's about opportunity. We send our kids to elementary school, JR high school and high school on the publics dime. Further education could be public colleges or trade schools or the like. Furthering education is good for all of us even if you take a job as menial labor, you may well choose to advance in another field.

What I find so puzzling is those of you that look disparaging towards those that have advanced education. As if they don't think like you they are ignorant. I dar say the doctor that examined me this morning probably wouldn't know how to set a corn planter or a combine  but he certainly does know about endrocronology. Perhaps they don't understand you any more than you understand them but they have purpose in life and perhap more larning would have helped you. But blanket statements that some would be better off without education is simply silly.

People do learn things and perhaps you think it is wasted money. If that be your judgement then why would yu send your kids to jr high or high school. For sure they may be slow learners or poor learners such as your self but then everyone is not that way and all should be given that opportunity. Its our parental responsibility.

Advisor

Swings both ways

i think he makes a point that he didn't necessarily intend to, and may not even understand that he did.  These people that get elected, yeah even W and maybe even a year from now God only knows who, get elected because the "biggest bunch" sees potential leadership in them.  In the abstract, of course, but that's why.  

What puke unwittingly points out is what happens when the people who propped them up become or appoint or supply them with their handlers.  W got a bunch of neoconservatives and was told "We'll take care of stuff. Just keep your voters happy".

But no better with Obama.  He consciously applied every bit or more idealogical purity to his appointments and staffing decisions. With some disasterous results, as well.  Could have appointed some old white guy as AG who would have gone after the architects of the financial crisis that most like more than anything is what got him elected. But the base would have gone ballistic had the AG not been a minority with a Civil Rights pedigree. And the press would have reported it as betrayal.

And....the one time he "does the right thing" it simultaneously implodes with his homies and explodes with the opposition and next to ruins as good a public servant as has ever served in this land:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/hagel-white-house-tried-destroy-120536456.html   

Interesting what Hagel says about The President ar the end.  Seems to understand that it wasn't him.  It was "the White House", which just maybe hasn't been synonymous with "The President" since Kennedy. He knows who was xxxxing him.  In each ear. Hagel, a man who should have been President, but maybe understood already how this stuff works and saved himself the effort.

Veteran Advisor

Re: Swings both ways

harder and harder to find good men that want to serve.

That is how we end up with the Bush's, Obama's, and Clinton's.

I am sure Hagel got a belly full.

Advisor

Re: Swings both ways

A and B seem to me to be "good men". C?  Nowhere close. Not a good cell in him.

Advisor

Curious, as a serious student of European history who has always been fascinated by the specifics of the various waves of immigration to No. America from there. When and from which regime?  Over what specific concerns? 

The earliest of my immigrant anscestors came to Connecticutt in the early 1700s from England. The most recent from Sweden in the 1880s.  Only a sliver of  of my wife's were here before 1915. 

Veteran Advisor

My Grandfather died in 1963.  His favorite saying was: It's better to be quiet and let people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!   Take heed!

Senior Contributor

I'll bet some days you wish you'd have listened, huh moosetash . 

Veteran Advisor

Since Ollie left, you're the only idiot here!

Veteran Advisor

all these years, and you never once wondered WHY your grandfather always said that to you?

Interesting.