cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Daily Double gift for many here

Someone you deplore, giving props to someone who you literally despise. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/krugman/2014/06/02/coal-comfort/?from=krugman
19 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Daily Double gift for many here

most business people in the USA deplore both Puke and the Zero, and the rest of the world leadership is also distancing itself from our Country as CHina and Russia expand their influence. At least those riding in the cart here in America have third world leadership to go along with our diminished national stature.

the POTUS job is akin the finding a new coach for the Timberwolves....who wants the job that is actually qualified?????

No wonder we get guys like Bama and BUsh.

Highlighted
Advisor

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027336/solar-to-match-coal-in-china-b...

On the fast approaching cost parity of PV with cheap coal power.

Almost 99.9% good news although I just threw it out for entertainment so I can find out how many horrible things will come about.

Also this actually stands as  some vindication for the free market folks in terms of the argument that the market will take care of everything. There was some public investment (Germany, China, US military, Solyndra!!!) but for the most part just technological advancement.

Maybe just luck of the draw but among the various high cost future energy forms, PV was always the least favored among conservatives, just on account of being hippie energy or something.

But while other pies in the sky are dead in the water- conventional shale conversion, cellulosic ethanol, it looks like the solar folks got it done.

Timing is everything and some thanks go to Germany which pushed solar forward a lot earlier on the cost curve and is suffering some on account of it.

Looks OK to go in the water now, though.

Probably time to rebuild the grid too, but hey.  And doing that and solar won't provide jobs, jobs, jobs like fracking and knocking down mountains do.

Highlighted
Advisor

Impressed actually that you apparently read the link that nox put up earlier and were able to channel it in here. Like has been said here before you Republicans should never have set the game so solidly in stone that it couldn't do anything but create the thereto fore unimaginable election of Barack Obama. 2 wars, "deficits don't matter" as official open declared policy directly out of the executive branch all wrapped up together with a set of regressive tax cuts
Highlighted
Advisor

PS Red. As for the T Wolves their best bet would be to move Reeves over from the Lynx. Thai's the best pro sports outfit in the country and she may be the best coach
Highlighted
Advisor

That would be great, if solar was as cheap as coal, well unless you mean to just force the cost of coal up via regulation, but I'm skeptical.  The cost of the panel + storage, I just doubt it.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Please consider how incredibly expensive it was to produce atomic energy at first and how efficient the energy would be if not for the probem of nuclear waste. One day science may find a solution to that problem.

What is being largely ignored is geothermal heating and cooling. Once it become cost effective we will use the worlds largest solar collector. The earth itself and there are billions if not trillions of dollars worth of "free" energy to be harvested.

I can remember when aplasma TV a 13 inch model was priced at $11K at Archers store in FT dodge. Today you can buy a 55 incher for less than one thousand.

That is how science and technology are invented and perfected. There are huge rewards in technological pursuits and even the naysayers ought to be aware of that. 

Highlighted
Advisor

Yes Don I agree, but I'm skeptical they're any where close on solar.    

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

So whassup with Medical costs?

Maybe you want to re-think your views on govt stifling cost competition in the health ins and medical fields. Ever think that less govt involvement would be helpful? Last I heard, it wasn't govt controls that drove the price of a nice 50 inch TV down to under $500 a set.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: So whassup with Medical costs?

Its just hardly worth trying red,  cheaper only matters if its your money being spent.