cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

DarkSide

appears to fall into the "state encouraged" category, like Al Qaeda.

Invade Russia?

11 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: DarkSide

Put Kuminit Heelsup in charge of it. She can find the root cause. What's fat Billy been up to lately?

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: I'm pretty sure that ..

I'm pretty sure that some of the ransom finds its way back to Putin and his gang.

Look at NK, cyber theft is a state-own enterprise.

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

The biggest problem, is computers simply are not a “safe” way to maintain security of a system.   What is a secure system today, is vulnerable tomorrow.   The company my son works for was hit by hackers.   They thought they had top notch security.   The hackers locked up all their computers, all the data, all the factories, and made off with several million in ransom.   It would have cost many times more, if the computers and data was lost.   I asked him how he knew that they would actually get the key to restore the system.   His answer - “The hackers know that if they destroy the system they are holding for ransom, no one will pay them in the future.”

His company paid the ransom - got control of their computers back, and now invest continuously in cyber security.   It’s why I click on very few links presented here.   If I want to see something someone presents, I look it up myself.   Far more time consuming, but the alternate is worse.  

My main computer where I have my book work, is no longer hooked up to the internet.  My new computer, I limit the time that it is connected to the internet, and limit internet searches on it.   It is not connected to my home wireless system.   My older computer,  that is used for searching the internet, has very little personal stuff on it.  Hackers want to take it - fine - just a waste of their time.   It’s a $75.00 used computer my son got for me, and it works great.

It comes down, to who do you trust?   When it comes to computers - no one.   Think you just installed the latest and greatest security system on your computer.   Sure.   And who “exactly” made the program you just put on your computer?   Are you smart enough to go through all the lines of code, and find an issue?   Do you have a full time security “person” - not software - guarding your computer?   And, is that person up to date on everything “new” that constantly pops up?    And the answer is:  NO ONE HAS ENOUGH SECURITY TO PREVENT A HACK OF THEIR PERSONAL INFORMATION.   Not if that computer is accessible to the internet.    My home security computer is separate from my internet computer, which is separate from my new computer, which is separate from my personal information computer.  Nothing is connected to the internet, unless it has to be.  Computers like my new computer and my personal information computer, are shut off when not in use.   They have digital hard drives in them, and come up and down quickly.   No reason to just “let them run”.    Want to steal the information and destroy my $75.00 computer - go for it.   I’ll replace it tomorrow, and resume what I was doing with it.

Jen

r3020
Senior Advisor

Pretty sure = just believe.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

They do have a public code of ethics that precludes hacking Russian companies.

You’re aware that f.g.’s campaign colluded with Russia, right?

r3020
Senior Advisor

Certainly another FBI failure. They need to spend some resources on the russian and less on spying on American citizens. Of course the dems are glad this happened because of man made global warming. Expect much more of this happening on *'s watch.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

why worry about computer security or having two computers if the feds are going to make your personal info available by internet anyway.

Every CPA firm in the US is or soon will be cloud based .  The world's accounting is headed for those clouds being build in Des Moines.  

Feds haven't been able to keep anything secure since congress invented the bribe.

IH3719492
Senior Contributor

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

That is the Koch front group that masterminded the TX electric debacle.