cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Darling of the Left... Reporter Helen Thomas, Resigns in Shame

Just read that veteran reporter, Helen Thomas, had to end up resigning and hanging up her poison pen over comments that "Israel should go back to Germany and Poland, and leave Palestine to the arabs".  Here is the article about it:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37555003/ns/politics?GT1=43001

Anuther One Bites Da Dust-a.

3 Replies
Advisor

Re: Darling of the Left... Reporter Helen Thomas, Resigns in Shame

Crazy thing...I was reading about this Thomas story and began mourning for Howard Zinn...who just passed this past year and thinking of how he could have put into words the complexities in what she was (unfortunately) saying, Of how the West sorted and quotad the most desirable end of post war Jewish people and how goodly numbers of the "rest", at the urging of Churchill and the essentially indifferent "whatever"s  of Truman and PM McKenzie King were sent to Palestine. The rougher set, as it were, sort of like the folks who colonized Australia, who among other things were given the real heavy and violent lifting in Palestine. Western leaders in London and New York didn't wan't "too many", didn't relish the scenario of competing with too big a set of mercantilsts and financiers and highly skilled laborers and how Churchill, Truman, King and thewhole lot of them didn't give a rats patoot about any ethno-religious matters. Truman finally acquiesed as the miltiary Indusrialists showed him the value of having an armed  allied presence in the Gulf.

Then I run across this Canadian guy who just might have been an understudy of Zinn's:

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/reality/archive/2010/06/07/in-defense-of-helen-thomas.as...

Senior Contributor

from Paul Jay

"the American, Canadian and British governments wouldn't drop their anti-Jewish quotas even after the horrors of the genocide were fully exposed (let's talk about some real anti-Semites). "

And for most who know people from that generation there were lots who feared or hated the Jews. Lots of it may have been induced by their 'Christian' religious training or just all the horror stories about the Jews but I know of lots of people older than me who would blame the 'Jews' for anything that was not right in their world.

In my local area it was always 'the Jews inToronto' that were at the root of any financial problem or low prices and I expect my FIL would have blamed them when ever he hit his thumb with a hammer.

So I suggest that it is not fair to put all the blame on the leaders of that day as the electorate of their countries were certainly in agreement with their decisions.

Another interesting point in Jay Paul's article is how governments  "makes use of people fleeing religious persecution to populate their new possession . Colonialism makes use of people fleeing religious persecution to populate their new possession ". .

Reminds me of how some of my ancestors came to what is now part of your country, Pennsylvania,. They were known by many as 'Pennsylvania Dutch' but were really people who were persecuted and driven out of Europe for religious beliefs.

Advisor

Re: Darling of the Left... Reporter Helen Thomas, Resigns in Shame

all humans should return to africa.