cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

David Bowie, Dead, 69

Sex, drugs, and rock&roll. Cancer. Baby boomers are slipping away. 

11 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: David Bowie, Dead, 69

If someone would have told you that a 70's icon had a sex change and became a woman...and the choices were David Bowie or Bruce Jenner....which one would you have guessed?

Guess all the skinny narrow shouldered androgynous guys aren't aggots, and the broad shouldered ones aren't Magnum PI, either.

Go figure.

Highlighted
Advisor

Hmmm. Approximately of the median age of a Fox News viewer.

Highlighted
Advisor

As far as the generational meme and politics goes.

The back half of the baby boomers that I'm more familiar with probably do deserve some contempt, on average.

The 70s that they/I came of age in was a pretty well culturally bombed out following the recent convulsions. My recollection is of lots of people doing some sex and drugs, trying to have good hair and maybe trying to fit in with a bit of pseudo lefty lingo.

Entering elderhood they tend toward selfishness and misanthropy. Trump voters, which I think the polls would support.

Highlighted
Advisor

Which.....is the source of my questioning my earlier assertions that millennials won;t be as passionate about Hillary as Obama.

True on the positive side but perhaps not on the negative side. Those late boomers are their parents.

Highlighted
Advisor

The predictions of Generations ca. 1993 have often proven true. The timing for the beginning rounds of The Fourth Turning around 2005-8 certainly have.

So as the turning proceeds to climax sometime after 2020, the Boomers will be entirely put out to pasture as their 50 years of cultural dominance is rejected.

Opposite the preceding Silent Generation- the wealthiest elder generation in history- they/we will be much poorer. But the predicting is that they will go relatively quietly into their own cultural space- elderhostel communes and such.

For the Xers, who tend to have the most outright hostility toward boomers, it isn't great news either. Even if you get some satisfaction from the boomers getting their due you're still in a crappy position in the generational cycle.

Assuming we reset and don't blow the whole thing out, the Millennials will have some good years.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

Hmmm. Approximately of the median age of a Fox News viewer.

I hear that David (Bowie) Jones was bisexual.  Approximately the median moral value of a DemoçRAT Party member. 

image.jpg

Highlighted
Advisor

Best someone from the "Golden Years" can think to say to your feigned disdain is "run for the shadows".

Pay attention as the boomers let their icons go peacefully away so you'll have some idea how to resign  Al Yankovich, Gene Simmons and Shania Twain when the time comes.

Highlighted
Advisor

Dark day ahead when Rick Astley goes.

Highlighted
Advisor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

I got rickrolled a couple times back in the day but wasn't in on the joke.