cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Debt Collection Company Was Using Fake Sheriffs, Judges and Courtroom To Scare Debtors

People will desperate things when times get tough, even bill collectors.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/debt-collection-company-was-using-fak

HARRISBURG - Attorney General Tom Corbett today announced that a consumer protection lawsuit has been filed against an Erie debt collection company accused of using deceptive tactics to mislead, confuse or coerce consumers - including the use of bogus "hearings" allegedly held in a company office that was decorated to look like a courtroom.

Corbett said the civil lawsuit was filed by the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection against Unicredit America Inc., with corporate and business offices located at 1537 West 39th St., Erie, also identified as the "Unicredit Debt Resolution Center."

"This is an unconscionable attempt to use fake court proceedings to deceive, mislead or frighten consumers into making payments or surrendering valuables to Unicredit without following lawful procedures for debt collection," Corbett said. "Consumers also allegedly received dubious 'hearing notices' and letters - often hand-delivered by individuals who appear to be Sheriff Deputies - which implied they would be taken into custody by the Sheriff if they failed to appear at the phony court for 'hearings' or 'depositions'."

4 Replies
BA Deere
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt Collection Company Was Using Fake Sheriffs, Judges and Courtroom To Scare Debtors

A company pulling those shenanigans are laying themselves open to being sued, big time.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Re: Debt Collection Company Was Using Fake Sheriffs, Judges and Courtroom To Scare Debtors

I'd think if they were impersonating judges, prosecutors and law enfocement personel being sued would be teh least of their worries. Those involved are most likely facing serious feloniy charges.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

A little funny on that same subject..  I was living in Denver in the early 70s and had a good friend who was just a little crazy--funny type crazy.  He was still trying to find his "career" and was working as an auto repo guy.  He tells that one day he was way up in the Rockies to repo a pickup truck.  He finally found what looked like the truck and he got out and went up to the door to tell the guy he was taking the truck.  He was also an auxiliary Denver policeman so when the guy came to the door, he whipped out his little badge real quick and told him he was repoing the truck.  He said this BIG guy then pulled out his wallet and showed him the biggest sheriff's badge he had ever seen.  He not only had the wrong truck but was also almost arrested for impersonating a police officer.  He said he never used that badge again.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

LOL, his trump card got trumped.

I helped a friend repo a color console TV years ago for one of those rent-to-own places, where the (his exact words)"hot gal that works at the IBP packing plant" that rented it was an ex-wife to a good friend, but we didn't know it, and that both of us were part of a bachelor party gag the night before they(her and our friend) got married, where we left him(her ex) on a park bench naked with a quarter on his head for a phone call, in the park in the town square in Galesburg. He woke up and was arrested shortly thereafter because the county jail and police department was less than 2 blocks away, and also because there was a mental hospital in Galesburg at the time where some of the not-so-crazy "residents" would get let out for the weekend. He was late for the wedding the next day to HER and she hated all of us that were a part of it, and ironically we were all in the wedding too.

So, we go to repo that TV, and my buddy tells me on the way there that her boyfriend is a Hells Angel. I'm thinking great, now is a fine time to tell me, but that I know there is a possibility of a gun or pig-sticker to be involved, so I tell him to drive around the trailer court where we were going to find all the exits and ways to "unazz the A.O." if need be, before we were ready and somewhat prepared to go. We go to the door and knock on it, and sure enough he is a member, and wearing his colors too. He lets us in and was actually very nice, and didn't seem to care either way until she comes into the living room. She starts to come unglued and swears that she recognizes me and knows me, and I'm trying to play dumb and lift that blasted TV and get the hell out of there. I think that both of us were more scared of her and what she might do, especially if she found out who we were, than of her biker boyfriend.

Every time we talk about that now, we get a pretty good laugh out of it, and always wish that there were flat screen TV's around back then.