cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Deja vu all over again.

Last fall the republicans held the assistance  to the unemployed hostage until the president succumbed on the continuation of the Bush tax rates.

Now we are approaching a need for an expansion of the debt limit. Repubs are holding that expansion  hostage to vast cuts in entitlements. Yesterday they walked out on the talks because they will not consider tax increases to ease the pain for seniors and the unemployed.

They claim the talks have broken down  because the dems are uncooperative. So does the president cave in to their demands and give them what they want? I suppose he will.

However, when they made that crappy deal last fall I knew even then that the president made a serious strategic mistake. The will be unsufferable opponents no matter what.

Time to call their bluff. No negotiation. Leave the debt ceiling problem up to the republican congress. In preperation for the oncoming cash shortage, the president should announce strategic cuts starting now which may or may not be to anyone's liking. As long as congress cannot get anything done, send them home with out pay. We the people pay for doing, not obstruction.

The hostage in chief has only one choice and that is to reassert his authority. If the repubs  fail to raise the debt limit, they will pay out of pocket and at the polls.  We just as well have elected a republican if this president is going to capitulate all the time.

They seem to think they have the clout to drive their agenda and use this horrid recession to reek havoc on democrat policies. They want a political war. Lets give them one.

17 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Deja vu all over again.

My thoughts exactly Mr. Kraft. Don't raise the debt ceiling. Use the tax revenue we now have to service the debt first and then set priorities for what ever is left. Let it that way until after the 12 election. Let the people decide.

Veteran Advisor

Re: Kinda Sucks, Don't It???

@kraft-t wrote:

Last fall the republicans held the assistance  to the unemployed hostage until the president succumbed on the continuation of the Bush tax rates.

Now we are approaching a need for an expansion of the debt limit. Repubs are holding that expansion  hostage to vast cuts in entitlements. Yesterday they walked out on the talks because they will not consider tax increases to ease the pain for seniors and the unemployed.

They claim the talks have broken down  because the dems are uncooperative. So does the president cave in to their demands and give them what they want? I suppose he will.

However, when they made that crappy deal last fall I knew even then that the president made a serious strategic mistake. The will be unsufferable opponents no matter what.

Time to call their bluff. No negotiation. Leave the debt ceiling problem up to the republican congress. In preperation for the oncoming cash shortage, the president should announce strategic cuts starting now which may or may not be to anyone's liking. As long as congress cannot get anything done, send them home with out pay. We the people pay for doing, not obstruction.

The hostage in chief has only one choice and that is to reassert his authority. If the repubs  fail to raise the debt limit, they will pay out of pocket and at the polls.  We just as well have elected a republican if this president is going to capitulate all the time.

They seem to think they have the clout to drive their agenda and use this horrid recession to reek havoc on democrat policies. They want a political war. Lets give them one.

Kinda sucks to be out flanked, don't it Don?

When your kind of folks are outta money, they are outta power.  Your folks will probably then take up rioting in the streets (á la Greece) in desperation.

That will really boost them in the public relations department.

Remember that old Schlitz Beer jingle from long ago? .... "When you're outta Schlitz, You're Outta Beer".

The Dems new jingle is ..... "When you're outta other people's Bucks, Your grip on power is outta Luck."

(now I have that tune stuck in my mind)

Senior Contributor

Yeah, we cut taxes and got into a war, then another war and paid for it all with borrowed money. Then we added more tax cuts, extended old tax cuts and got into yet another war and are paying for it with borrowed money on top of the previous borrowed money. And all amid an economic breakdown derived from greed and foolishness. Entitlements or not, no wonder we are where we are today.

Senior Contributor

I think the war thing has pretty well be debunked.  It's entitlements that are breaking the government.  The projected debt from them is trillions.  If we stopped every war that Obama has us in right now we still would have unsustainable debt because of government pensions, Medicaid, Medicare and social security.

Senior Contributor

Re: america does not need it

we shouldnt pay people not to work and we shouldnt raise the debt limit---starve the beast--go gop--why cant dumocrats see this

Senior Contributor

It is a political gamble for both parties.  Under Clinton I think Dems were able to score some political points by claiming Repubs shut down the federal government.  Not sure with the current economy and high unemployment along with our country's massive debt problems if Dems can score some points if Repubs don't agree to raise the debt.   Looks like both parties are playing an old fashion game of stare down hoping the other will be the first to blink while keeping one eye on the daily opinion polls.

I wonder how much the Tea Party influence has had on Obama and Dem's bargaining decisions and strategies?  It seems to have had a a pretty significant influence on the Repubs.  No matter if you agree or disagree with the Tea Party you have to be amazed at the influence they have garnered in such a short time.   I'm sure both parties would love to be able to duplicate that type of fast spreading grass roots success and would think Dems would try a spin off version of their own for 2012.  Not sure if it will work as the timing does not appear right like the perfect storm that helped spawn the Tea Party movement.

Senior Contributor

Do you enjoy telling bullsh!t lies? Because you are DEAD WRONG!

Senior Contributor

How long do the unemployed get to stay unemployed on our dime in your mind?  There used to be a limit.  No when that limit comes, its an emergency and unemployment payments go on.  At some point, it needs to end don't you think?

Senior Contributor

Re: dear not so great

point out the lie or  shutup--pick your poison carefully or i will shame you one more time --or cut and run as usual