cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Democrat plan

One thing I'd disagree with from Obama...that their path is harder.  The Democrats want to take the easy path.  The feel-good path.  The path that is paved with good intentions. 

The hard choices are to NOT spend this or that money, even though it would give us warm fuzzies. To force people to bear the consequences of their actions.  To support our allies around the world.  To tell people to figure out how to solve their own problems because there is NO WAY the govt is going to solve everyone's problems (I'll be this woman is STILL waiting for him to help her:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg98BvqUvCc )

Veteran Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

We must have watched different telecasts. Democrats have nothing against exceptional people, wealthy people or industry. They do however have something against never giving someone a chance to become exceptional or even middle class. You should have taken off your bias glasses. For example, after watching the RNC, I do firmly believe that Republicans care about the poor and the middle class. I believe that they are going with a plan that they think will work with the best of intentions. I just don't agree with their strategy for giving people a chance to get there. You should have a similar philosophy, but for some reason SOME PEOPLE think that Democrats are up to some sort of communist evil. It's not enough for SOME PEOPLE to disagree with democrats. It has to be that democrats are Communists, Nazis, totalitarians or some other evil. There is no evil and you should be satisfied with disagreement. But I'm wasting my time I am sure.

My thoughts exactly.  No one (well very, very few people anyway) are so heartless as to cast aside those in need, but the idea of the best way to help them differs.  One person may not agree with the way another is going about it, but the motive is generally for the better good, not to promote evil.

Senior Contributor

If only our republican brethren had the guts or whatever it is necessary to repeat your words in the same respect.

Veteran Advisor

I'm not a 'Republican', I'm an independant, who leans towards the government being smaller, and spending less money, so I tend to maybe lean that way, but not when it comes to things like letting fatcats and corporations get special tax breaks the average Joe won't.  Ditto spending. I want no one in this country to suffer, but I also don't want my taxes going towards buying someone able bodied who is gaming the system steak and lobster, and paying for idiotic things like multi-million dollar turtle bridges, when a simple culvert has been shown to be just as effective at keeping them from being run over.

As to the Repubs and Dems, I swear sometimes that if there were hungry kids, and one party wanted to grill some hot dogs, the other side would want to grill hamburgers, then they would argue with each other, both claim the other side won't compromise for the benefit of feeding the kids, then hit up their donors for campaign money, all the while nothing would get done, and the kids' plates would be empty.

Senior Contributor

Like a true wowser and  conservative, flatland will not tolerate his version of poverty ever gaining ground.  He likes that good old Chairman Mao stuff.  Keep em poor, flog them when necessary and assassinate all your competition.   Sound about right Hillbilly?

Senior Contributor

You are lieing to yourself

"I believe that they are going with a plan that they think will work with the best of intentions. I just don't agree with their strategy for giving people a chance to get there."

@KNAPPer wrote:

If only our republican brethren had the guts or whatever it is necessary to repeat your words in the same respect.

With you it's always the other side that needs to change. Now we are the ones that also need the guts to admit the Dems "just have a different method"

“We got a real clear picture of what they all value,” Biden said. “Every Republican’s voted for it. Look at what they value and look at their budget and what they’re proposing. Romney wants to let the — he said in the first hundred days he’s going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, ‘unchain Wall Street.’ They’re going to put y’all back in chains.” Joe Biden 2012

Knapper! Show me where you suggest the same to your side?

Senior Advisor

It must be great to have some modicum of success in this country and assume it is because you are exceptional. Not an ounce of humility to recognize that you may have had advantages, some help or some exceptional good fortune.

So the conclusion you come to is that those that do not achieve you status in life are either stupid or lazy. The egotism of people like you does not surprise me.

Youn don't really want the average american to prosper. You rather like your superiority complex. You like looking down your nose at the lower class. They simply don't deserve a better life, do they?

Senior Contributor

Re: You are lieing to yourself

OK, I'll try: Hey Democrats: Republicans are not up to evil. They arre just doing what they think is right.

Is that about it?

Veteran Advisor

Specifically, what part of either party's platform, gives the poor a 'better life'?  That is not the government's job.  While the government does a fair job at providing for the poor's basic needs, what does it do, to give them a better life?  If that were true, instead of multi-generational families all on the government dole, we should have those same families younger generations excelling.  Instead, the opposite seems to be happening.

Veteran Advisor

Re: You are lieing to yourself

I think the GOP wants the government to get out of the way, so that the individuals can build their own prosperity (I'm trying to see things from their point of view).  The problem is, some people are in a situation where they can't really do that.  With few exceptions, they are not 'evil', in fact many of them help through charities, but they feel that the government should only do so much, and it is up to individuals to take up the slack, and more money the individuals have, the more they can help.

I also think the Dems think that if they just subsidize the needy enough, they won't be so needy, and belive the more generous they are, the better off the needy will be.  Unfortunately, the more you subsidize something, the more of it you tend to get.  We have whole communities of people, who are more than willing to do nothing to improve their situation, even if they have the ability to do so, because they are living comfortably enough to satisfy them.   I also think that many of them feel that charities can be inconsistent in the aid they can provide, and belive only government has the stability needed to aid long-term.  While that may be true, there comes a point when the government spends more money than they can generate, without stifling the productivity of others.

What we need to figure out (and whether or not it can be done, I do not know) is find a way to aid those who really need the aid, yet motovate those who need motovating.

We need a government big enough to help the needy, but not so big to be in the way of everyone else.

Whoever can strike the best balance, has my vote.