cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Democrat plan

You don't think that the govt should do whatever it can to ENSURE THAT EVERYONE HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS!  No one is talking about anyone GIVING anyone anything.  If the govt doesn't ensure that opportunity, I know a whole bunch of repubs that won't do it either!!!

Veteran Advisor

Re: You are lieing to yourself

Does it work that way at the FSA office?

Veteran Advisor

So, specifically, what 'opportunity' is one party giving the poor, that the other is not? 

I used to be a small hog farmer, and needed to rebuild facilities in order to keep doing that.  However, the government more or less took away the opportunity of being a small hog farmer, mostly due to regulations that are only cost-justifiable when done on a large scale.  These regulations came from both sides of the aisle.  The GOP wanted to give the big boys the financial breaks, the Dems, put on regulations that a small hog guy could not afford.

From what I saw, they were just taking different roads, to the same eventual destination.

Veteran Advisor

First, I sholuld have been more clear, I was typing what I thought each party was trying to do, from their point of view, rather than the actual results I have seen.

As for the FSA office, I don't quite understand the question?

I can barely remember, when the Repubs passed 'Freedom to Farm', the Dems were calling it 'Freedom to Fail', I assume because the government wasn't dictating how many acres of what crops were planted.  The Repubs thought the market would level itself out, the Dems thought the farmers needed more assistance and guidance (my opinion only, and like I said I can barely remember it). 

In the end, I think they both had valid points, but the unintended consequence was to crowd out the small family farmer that they were trying to help (or were giving lip service in saying they were trying to help).

Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

It must be great to have some modicum of success in this country and assume it is because you are exceptional. Not an ounce of humility to recognize that you may have had advantages, some help or some exceptional good fortune.

So the conclusion you come to is that those that do not achieve you status in life are either stupid or lazy. The egotism of people like you does not surprise me.

Youn don't really want the average american to prosper. You rather like your superiority complex. You like looking down your nose at the lower class. They simply don't deserve a better life, do they?

Not all of us were given every thing we have Don.  It must be nice though. 

Senior Contributor

Huh, "Freedom to farm". I had forgotten that fiasco, progated by the Repulicans. Yes, it cost a lot of little farmers their farms. What happened, it allowed the farms to farm fence row, to fence row. It flooded the market with grain, dropped the price so low,(the real reason for "freedom to farm"), and the smaller farms were quickly eliminated. "Freedom to fail", was what it was really intended to do, worked like a charm.

Veteran Advisor

Yes, it led to the bailouts of the farms that were 'too big to fail'. 
Much like the banking bailouts, it just led to more consolodation, more concentration of wealth, than before.

Senior Contributor

By Cracky I think you've got it Gouph!!!   That's exactly what Obamas minions have proposed.