cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Democrats most likely science deniers

@OKdon wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion as well as the consumers of farm products. The consumers have the right to make judgements about GMOs and they have the right to be informed about whether a food product incles GMO material. So label it properly and allow the consumer to choose what they buy.

Do you want processers to force consumers to buy Gmo products? Why?

I'm indifferent on the subject. I was just trying to explain GMOs to Bart. I make a lot of money raising nonGMO products. I will proudly label mine if that is what the consumer wants.

Veteran Advisor

It doesn't matter if it is faster or slower, it is still gene modification and with the proper research the same results can be made. You and the rest are against GMOs and I'm telling you that cross breeding results in a GMO! Thornless blackberries, ever bearing and cold resistant strawberries, all the new breeds of livestock, etc ALL GMOs
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
It doesn't matter if it is faster or slower, it is still gene modification and with the proper research the same results can be made. You and the rest are against GMOs and I'm telling you that cross breeding results in a GMO! Thornless blackberries, ever bearing and cold resistant strawberries, all the new breeds of livestock, etc ALL GMOs

Ok. I will provide what ever you want. I am not against GMOs, I raise and sell GMOs. They are much easier to manage. But I can tell you one thing, roundup ready soybeans will not pass the nonGMO test. Same for corn that is roundup ready, BT for corn bore, and root worms.

Senior Contributor

Cross breeding is the selection of closely related specimens and mating them to acheive improved traits within the specie. Genetic modification is the splicing of genes from nonrelated species to acheive improved or desired traits.

Taking gene from banana ad inserting it in a apple may make it easier to peel but it is not cross breeding. Whether that change makes the apple unfit for human consumption is another argument, but it is not the same as cross breeding.

If God meant for man to hybridize those genetic materials he would have made it possible for a dashhound to impregnate a giraffe. He didn't do that so he must not have intended that humanity do that.   I just threw that in forthe benefit of the God botherers! Smiley Happy

Senior Advisor

@OKdon wrote:

Cross breeding is the selection of closely related specimens and mating them to acheive improved traits within the specie. Genetic modification is the splicing of genes from nonrelated species to acheive improved or desired traits.

Taking gene from banana ad inserting it in a apple may make it easier to peel but it is not cross breeding. Whether that change makes the apple unfit for human consumption is another argument, but it is not the same as cross breeding.

If God meant for man to hybridize those genetic materials he would have made it possible for a dashhound to impregnate a giraffe. He didn't do that so he must not have intended that humanity do that.   I just threw that in forthe benefit of the God botherers! Smiley Happy

Bart is right about thornless blackberries. They are genetically modified but you don't hear any complaints. Now I read where some seed guy said we could have gotten roundup ready beans by planting regular beans, spray them with roundup. There would be a few that survive. You keep up that process until they develop their own resistance just like marestail has.

Honored Advisor

Hey 3020, I love Kiwi fruit and they are healthy and "man made".  With "Roundup Ready" remember back in the 80`s/early 90`s we had "pigweed" and Pursuit controlled it, then Mother Nature morphed it into ALS resistant "waterhemp" ...Roundup controlled it at a pint, but in 10-15 years of weed escapes, now we basically have "Roundup Ready Waterhemp".  We created it, we didn`t have to tamper with the genes, Mother Nature through natural selection created it. 

Then we have some GMOs like Syngenta Viptera corn that either isn`t completely safe for humans or China is using it as a bargaining chip.   i`m a chemical man, instead of tampering with genes, I`d rather they developed new pesticides, as is now the gene manipulation buys us about 10 years then it`s back to the drawing board to manipulate more.  JMO 

Senior Advisor

You know what's funny though BA, after 50 years Lambsquarter , Jimson Weed, and Giant Ragweed are still not resistant to 24D. Today the ALS chemicals are about as effective as spraying with straight water. On some of the non GMO beans we are back to pulling a weed wiper. We have cut way back on the non GMO beans and are now picking up some premium raising roundup ready beans for seed.

Veteran Advisor

Yes, crossbreeding does not take genes apart but the gene line is modified none the less. If you breed a homozygous polled animal with a horned animal,the result will be a polled animal because the Poll gene is dominate and therefore the gene line is modified.
Veteran Advisor

I think that is the fault of the people making those things and the attitude of the people who think anything done by the govt is bad. You know some folks would complain in they were hung with a new rope!
Senior Contributor

Re: HEY YELLER WAY TO AVOID DEBATE

MUST BE A DEMONCRTA WITH NOTHING TO STAND BEHIND BUT THE CLOSET DOOR LOL