cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Did Obama pull a John Edwards?

snip-

President Obama, speaking last night in Chicago at a fundraiser at a private home, unloaded this bombshell:

Obama, according to the White House transcript, talked about “The first bill I signed — a bill that said that we’re going to have equal pay for equal work because I want my daughters treated the same way as my sons.”

Sons? What sons? How many? Where? Names? Do the girls know? (More importantly, does Michelle?)

Will the boys be joining him on the campaign trail?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/post/president-obamas-got-sons/2012/01/12/gIQA3FEUtP...

14 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Did Obama pull a John Edwards?

@r3020 wrote:

snip-

President Obama, speaking last night in Chicago at a fundraiser at a private home, unloaded this bombshell:

Obama, according to the White House transcript, talked about “The first bill I signed — a bill that said that we’re going to have equal pay for equal work because I want my daughters treated the same way as my sons.”

Sons? What sons? How many? Where? Names? Do the girls know? (More importantly, does Michelle?)

Will the boys be joining him on the campaign trail?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/post/president-obamas-got-sons/2012/01/12/gIQA3FEUtP...

He is totally helpless without someone writing his script down and putting it up on the Tel-e-prompter.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I don't see the big deal when Obama makes a minor speaking mistake especially after following on the heels of W.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Oh boy! Another gem from the Golden Boy, Milligan.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I think either

1) he was speaking metaphorically, where people want daughters to have the same opportunities as sons, or

2) it was a minor slip up, the kind that average pepole make all the time, but political opponents will latch onto.

As an example of #2, I remember a GOP candidate commenting that he likes to be able to 'fire people'.  When taken out of context, it seems bad, when put into proper context, doesn't mean much.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You really ARE an IDIOT!  What you are running off at the mouth about is called speaking metaphorically.  How can you hate one man so much???

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: On the flip side....

I don't LOVE him but I don't like it when assholes make up crap about things he said because they are too stupid to understand the English language.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Bart, the President said he wants his daughters to be treated the same as his sons. Isn't that atleast enough to make your ears perk up a bit? Maybe he was tongue tied but we are told what kind of an excellent orator he is and how intelligent he is, how could such a man make such a mistake. Or why didn't he clear it up as soon as he made the misstatement?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Idiot lesson number 2!

metaphor is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea

• cognitive metaphor is the association of object to an experience outside the object's environment.
  • conceptual metaphor is an underlying association that is systematic in both language and thought.
  • root metaphor is the underlying worldview that shapes an individual's understanding of a situation.
  • therapeutic metaphor is an experience that allows one to learn about more than just that experience.
  • nonlinguistic metaphor is an association between two nonlinguistic realms of experience.
  • A visual metaphor provides a frame or window on experience. Metaphors can also be implied and extended throughout pieces of literature.