cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Disability - Unfit for Work

I know you guys on the right and especially the far out right hate NPR, but they are actually an excellent news organization. Bear in mind I am talking about the news and not Prairie Home Companion.

I heard an excellent story - Unfit for Work -  about the 14 million Americans that are on disability to the tune of $260 billion per year (food stamps were only 71.8 billion in FY11) and you should read some of it:

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

(PS if you ae lazy, at least read the charts and snips, FYI. I think this is a growing concern in America and something Congress should address)

Snips: 

"But disability has also become a de facto welfare program for people without a lot of education or job skills. But it wasn't supposed to serve this purpose; it's not a retraining program designed to get people back onto their feet. Once people go onto disability, they almost never go back to work. Fewer than 1 percent of those who were on the federal program for disabled workers at the beginning of 2011 have returned to the workforce since then, one economist told me."

"People who leave the workforce and go on disability qualify for Medicare, the government health care program that also covers the elderly. They also get disability payments from the government of about $13,000 a year. This isn't great. But if your alternative is a minimum wage job that will pay you at most $15,000 a year, and probably does not include health insurance, disability may be a better option."

Pert to lawyers - "When he started in 1979, Binder represented fewer than 50 clients. Last year, his firm represented 30,000 people. Thirty thousand people who were denied disability appealed with the help of Charles Binder's firm. In one year. Last year, Binder and Binder made $68.7 million in fees for disability cases."

"Who is making the case for the other side? Who is defending the government's decision to deny disability? Nobody."

"In the meantime, federal disability programs became our extremely expensive default plan. The two big disability programs, including health care for disabled workers, cost some $260 billion a year."

14 Replies
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: Disability - Unfit for Work

Interesting article, KNAPPER. These people think this is such a bad idea, I ask this same question some time ago. You think it's such a hot deal, you try it, $13,000 a year, $1,083. a month, plus Medicare, won't buy your groceries, or gas for your pickup.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I find it rather odd that a program significantly larger than food stamps that includes medical benefits isn't something the right has noticed or even complained about. They will complain about anything even if it involves only one person and this one involves 14 million. Is it because the majority of these people worked at one time? It hits every race sector sort of evenly - maybe that's why it isn't an issue?

Wait, I just realized the real answer - Fox has never brought it up! Apparently they haven't been told what to think yet.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I find it rather odd that a program significantly larger than food stamps that includes medical benefits isn't something the right has noticed or even complained about. They will complain about anything even if it involves only one person and this one involves 14 million. Is it because the majority of these people worked at one time? It hits every race sector sort of evenly - maybe that's why it isn't an issue?

Wait, I just realized the real answer - Fox has never brought it up! Apparently they haven't been told what to think yet.

It has been posted about here so many times by the conservatives that everyone is tired of it.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I suppose that I`m a Rightwinger and speaking only for myself, I have nothing against a safety net for those that get injured and have no place else to turn.  I know some of my brothers would say that Churches and other private charities should handle those cases, but until we address many issues with our economy like illegal immigration and free trade, the private sector can`t keep up with the need that`s out there.

If someone that can`t be fully employed needs help...there but the grace of God go I, what they get out of the government isn`t the cause of our problems. My beef is with the 65yr old "Connie and Jack" that have a networth of $5 million and a Winnebago are travelling around with a dog named Boo and a cat named Kalamazzoo collecting $2,000 or $3,000/mo in SS checks, they`ll have collected more by age 70 than they ever put in the program and will still live another 30 yrs beyond that, there`s what`s breaking Uncle Sam`s piggy bank.

But some crippled guy collecting a check and doing the best he can...go in Peace. 

Oh yeah, those on the dole, I don`t want voting, because they`ll vote in fools that will take my guns and mess up my healthcare.  I don`t want my stuff messed with...is that too much to ask?

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: it shouldnt pay for anything

the acceped rate of fakeing is 40-50% the odd part is maore became fakers under the dicktater than ever in history WHY ?????

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

Here Knapper, let Fox bring you up to speed. This from July of 2012.

snip-

More Americans went on disability than found jobs over the last three months,  according to fresh figures crunched by the Senate Budget Committee.

Underscoring the extent of the recent slowdown in the economy, the startling  numbers show that between April and June, a total of 246,000 people enrolled in  the Social Security Disability Insurance program. In the same period, just  225,000 found jobs.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., ranking Republican on the budget panel, said the  figures raise concern about the health of the economy as well as the disability  insurance program itself. He said that since 2008, a total of 3.6 million  Americans have gone on disability -- while 1.3 million lost jobs.

"The growing number of people on disability and other federal benefits,  combined with weak economic growth, raises serious concerns about the  sustainability of the American economy," he said in a statement.

The stat speaks more to the weakening economy -- a reality Federal Reserve  Chairman Ben Bernanke confirmed in testimony to Congress Tuesday -- than any  sudden growth in disability enrollment, which has remained fairly  steady.

A total of 247,000 people went on disability in the first three months of  President Obama's term -- at a time when millions were losing jobs at the height  of the recession. Fast forward to the first three months of 2012, and 249,000  people went on disability.

While that number was roughly the same in the second quarter, the number of  new jobs plummeted -- from nearly 680,000 in the first quarter to 225,000 in the  second quarter.

Still, the disability rolls have continued to swell and threaten the  program's fiscal future.

A new Congressional Budget Office underscored the troubled finances of the  growing Social Security Disability Insurance program. The report showed $119  billion in benefits were paid last year to 8.3 million disabled workers. That  represents almost 18 percent of all Social Security spending.

According to Sessions' office, the program has been running a deficit since  2009.

"Consequently, the trust fund is shrinking and will be depleted by 2016 --  just four years from now," his office said.

Read more:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/17/more-americans-went-on-disability-than-found-jobs-in-last...

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: these are mostly demorats

ck it out in our state they are registered 4-1 demorat why????--it is easy to research by zips

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

You are right - I should have searched the forum first.

However I did note that there seems to be some confusion between Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). 

TuffyF
Senior Contributor

Aww come on knapper you know as well as I do if we were to bring anything up they'd say we hate disabled people.  That we want them to die, etc etc. 

A friend of mine, a gal, lost her leg in a motorcycle accident about 25 years ago.  She lost her entire leg, from the hip down.  Until the last couple years she worked at a clothing manufactor.  She said she had to beg for that job as it involved standing all day long.  I asked her why she never went for disability and she said she did but she was told at that time "you have to be missing an arm too." 

This gal suffers alot of back pain from always having to use crutches.  She has no stump and she said the options for prosthesis are all very painful.

She finally did about two years ago get disability.  And she deserves every penny and as far as I'm concerned if it wasn't for the idiots who get it who don't deserve it, she could get more.