cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Dixie Chicks were right

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/05/opinion/granderson-dixie-chicks/index.html

Pretty much totaly aproven fact but doesn't matter as far as the group's career goes.

This is what fascinates me.  The NASCAR/Nashville folks who would have made up a good part of their core fan base were, of course 100% in favor of the 2001 Corporate Coup that ended the US republic, sure aren't going to admit it now and that makes it potentially unprofitable to say as much in some circles.

Seems true as far as dealing with most landlords, neighbors etc. in rural America. More profitable to just leave the W '04 sticker on the truck (even though if you're a farmer that truck is long gone 'cause you needed the writeoff).

4 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Dixie Chicks were right

shouldn't you point out as a disclaimer that you were 110% in favor of the 2008 banker coup.

hardnox604008
Advisor

I have pondered at length whether, as it turned out, the Bush bailouts weren't the last time to take the Imperial Death Star down (a situation wherein I am 100% certain that agriculture would have been a heck of a lot less profitable the last 4 years, just as an aside).

I'll plead guilty to assuming that a new administration would require that a quid pro quo be breakup of TBTF banks and prosecution of malefactors. Didn't happen and that is one of two reasons I didn't support Obama in the recent election, the other being a broad set of civil liberties issues. It goes woithout saying that Romney would have been as bad or worse on those matters although I will give you that he is handsome and white.

Nobody can prove the counterfactual "what if" case at tis point but I'm skeptical about it. First, the primary opponents to the bailouts were people who believed that their deregulation had nothing to do with it and it was all de gummint and Barney's fault. Further they were mostly a bunch of long haired dreamers who think that if Eve hadn't bit the apple back at Jeckyll Island then paradise would not have been lost. There was going to be a whole lot of work to be done, very fast, to come out of the let it crash scenario with anything better.

I'm not seeing that working all that well under the circumstances that prevailed thee although I have to say with all sincerity that having been rolled once if there is a next time I say dump it and let the devil take the hindmost.

hardnox604008
Advisor

On the matter of of the nomination of uber insider MAry Jo Whaite to head the SEC.

http://kunstler.com/blog/2013/03/fortress-of-lies.html

"The silence over this disgraceful matter -- and many others like it, including the dead hand in the empty suit posing as US Attorney General -- indicates that not only is the rule of law extinct in this country, but so are public figures of principle and credible news organs. Nobody has made a noise about it. Anything goes, nothing matters, and nobody cares. So, the objection to it has to come from outside the authorized channels. And the consequences will mount outside the fortress of lies that the establishment has become."

Samnospam
Advisor

I think those who say it was because of deregulation are just as wrong as those who claim it was because of the community reinvestment act et all.  It was both working hand and hand.  That particular bubble (housing) was very much the desired affect of fed and government policy, bankers and wall street loved it and made large piles of cash.  To say regulation would have prevented it seems to me a bit absurd when everyone wanted it.  If you recall pumping the economy was the order of the day.

And nothing has changed,  except now the criminals can be even more sure that regardless of what they do they will be backstopped.