cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Don - another double dipper

Don, if you were owner and president of X Company and you offer a pension / retirement package to your employees would you allow John Doe to retire after 30 years and start drawing his pension and then hire him back again and then pay him both a salary and pension at the same time?  Was not the original idea of pension to be a retirement package to people after they quit working?

This is like many of the entitlement programs out there.  They originally sound like a good idea until you see how some people quickly learn to take advantage of them and it quickly defeats the original intent of the program.  Small concessions don't look like much but when they keep adding up and up they start to become a factor.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

dag, wouldn't that hold true for collecting SS and farm subsidies also..............

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Certainly not in his old job but if he wanted to continue working and applied for a custodian's job or anything else he wanted outside his old job, what's the problem?  As someone said, you are going to hire someone and pay someone that salary as well as the retiree's pension anyway, who says it can't be the same person.  This is especially true of hiring a retiree to a part time job at the same company.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Petty jealousy

That is the only reason that can explain why one would oppose payment of earned income and benefits.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Hey, Hobby. When I retired, I couldn't collect the Farm Payments, they were only payed to the person or persons, working the ground,( tenants.)

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

When I left the farm for my daughter to operate, the FSA told us that the operator gets the money and not the landowner.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Not every one cash rents some are on shares yet

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Forgot that.  Probably is the difference.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

To answer your question, it is not about what I like or don't like. I consider those benefits earned and if they have reached the time of maturity, it doesn't matter whether they retire or not. I do not understand why you think retirement should be a qualification for the pension. If he has earned it , he has earned it.

And hiting one back would be a decision for administrators. If the man is highly qualified  and has a history of good perfaormance why wouldn't we choose him for the job. Better to hire someone you know is good than take a chance on an unknown quantity.

I think your problem is based on people being paid more than you think they should. Even thought they have earned all they are getting. I cannot change that if you or anyone else thinks someone is over paid. I do not understand how you or I can determine whether someone else is worth their compensation or not. We are on the outside looking in and not in a position to evaluate their performance. 

You are not alone. There are other folks here that are certain most everyone is over paid. Whether the cop on the beat or a technition building a car. If he is making $50K or a $100k you are pretty **bleep** sure they are not worth that much.

I think you folks have a tendency to believe the high costs of products are laid at the feet of union workers. Yet Toyota and Honda both have favorable labor contracts compared to american companies. Yet that does not mean a better product for less money. Not at all because the price of a product is not determinate on what the labor cost is but on product demand. What people are willing to pay for the product.

cost of production has very little to do with retail price.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

They don't like when someone "unworthy" makes a goodly amount of money but they raise holy h3ll when someone complains about an oil company making $19  billion profit in 3 months saying that it is "earned"!  Freakin' hypocrites!