cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Don - restrictive new voting laws?

A couple of days ago we were discussing what you felt were Repub's attempts at enacting new voting laws that you believe were meant to restrict Dem voters, mainly minorities by requiring photo ID's or other new rules.  Earlier today I came across an article dealing with this issue where the author claims that a former law professor and current Sec. of State for Kansas, Kris Kobach has done some research on this topic and has concluded that minorities in Georgia had voted in above average numbers in the 2008 and 2010 elections after the state of Georgia enacted a new law requiring voters to show a photo ID.

The Georgia law was passed after it was revealed that 5000 dead people had cast ballots in the eight elections preceding 2000 which seems to prove there is more voter fraud going on then people realize.

Kobach also reported that the number of minorities registering to vote in Arizona had not gone down after the state passed its law last year on proving citizenship.

8 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Don - restrictive new voting laws?

How wrong could I be? I guess republicans aren't trying to suppress minority votes in about 35 states. And I guess that the New Hampshire legislature is not trying to kill minimum wage laws.  Nor is Wisconsin, Ohio, New jersey trying to break public unions to stifle union support of democrats.

I just got you repubs all wrong. You really are nice guys that wouldn't do anything out of line. And of course they were not involved in manipulating the totals on the computerized voting machines either. In fact if you are GOP you are saints.

Senior Contributor

Another attempt at a civilized discussion goes south quickly. 

Don, you had just recently brought up the discussion of proposed new voting laws that you felt would end up intimidating or restricting minorities from voting.    This is your personal opinion based mainly I assume of your personal political view of things.   Since we had just been discussing this topic a day ago I thought you might find it interesting to see what a man who is a former law professor, aid to a federal attorney and current Sec. of State for Kansas had to say on this topic after studying the actual figures in states that have implement some of these laws.    And here I always thought it was the radical religious right that refused to consider science and actual figures and instead chooses to go on their personal beliefs?

I have no doubt Repubs have at times been guilty of trying to manipulate the outcome of elections.  Heck I just recently posted a news report on Repubs doing this in the Maryland governor's race.   However I am smart enough to know that bought parties will try this crap.  I have always been in favor of tough penalties for such dirty politicians and their staff no matter what party they reside in.  You on the other hand always see the problem residing within only the Repub party and always seem to have a hard time acknowledging the dirty or crooked acts of Dems.

I would love to read from any websites you can provide about the manipulating of the totals on the computerized voting machines or how Repubs stole the 2000 election in Florida.   I'm guessing your version differs greatly from the actual facts and the results of numerous inquiries by the press and our government.     

I do smile hearing you complain how requiring proper ID's to vote is an assault on our voting system yet you don't complain about the enormous amount of fake and forged voter registrations completed by Accorn or that some politicians in your party favor giving illegal aliens driver's license knowing that in many states all that is required to vote is a driver's license.

If you want to talk about real voter fraud that has actually changed the outcome of important elections then you might want Google the 1960 presidential election and what took place in Chicago where Mayor Daley once again delivered the goods.  Voter turn out has always been higher in rural states compared to urban areas with the record being Utah in the 1964 election at 74%.  Yet somehow Daley got 86% of Chicagoans to turn out to vote including many dead ones.  Winning the state of Illinois helped give JFK the victory in 1960. 

During the 1960 election, 176 out of 180 positions on the Board of Election Commissioners were Daley Democrats. In 1962, after an election judge confessed to witnessing vote tampering in Chicago's 28th ward, three precinct workers pled guilty and served short jail terms. Reporter Earl Mazo, visiting the Chicago address where 56 Kennedy voters "lived," found an abandoned demolished house. He also found a cemetary where all the tombstone names were registered voters. In Ward 27, Precinct 27, the 376 voters cast 397 votes; In the 15th precinct of ward 2, Kennedy beat Nixon 74-to-3 but only 22 people were registered to vote.

Senior Advisor

I told you I was wrong. What else do you want? A repeat?

Veteran Advisor

Re: REAL Fraud

Senior Advisor

The republican attack on Acorn is proof positive of their goal to suppress black voting. They simply don't want them registered and voting.

Senior Contributor

"The republican attack on Acorn is proof positive of their goal to suppress black voting. They simply don't want them registered and voting."

Don, I'm not a Repub so I don't get any party talking points sent to me.   I would like to see more people voting be they black or white, rich or poor, young or old.   However I do get worried when a single organization is responsible for thousands of fraudulent voter registrations and especially an organization that gets large sums of government money.

CLEVELAND - A man at the center of a voter-registration scandal told The Post yesterday he was given cash and cigarettes by aggressive ACORN activists in exchange for registering an astonishing 72 times, in apparent violation of Ohio laws.

"Sometimes, they come up and bribe me with a cigarette, or they'll give me a dollar to sign up," said Freddie Johnson, 19, who filled out 72 separate voter-registration cards over an 18-month period at the behest of the left-leaning Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now.

"The ACORN people are everywhere, looking to sign people up. I tell them I am already registered. The girl said, 'You are?' I say, 'Yup,' and then they say, 'Can you just sign up again?' " he said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/politics/item_8dh7PaKRiPc0BFNPZVnGMM#ixzz1Q2gy9TQ4

Veteran Advisor

How can you say that?  Although Mickey Mouse is black, Donald Duck is white.  They were against ACORN registering EITHER of them to vote.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/05/cbsnews_investigates/main4992851.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6074157&page=1

Now tell me, exactly how do you defend this sort of behavior? 

Senior Contributor

That was from the voice of honesty and integrity, Don! He would never do anything dishonest or shady! Typical Republican in my opinion.