cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Don't miss the millstone, er I mean milestone

US national debt rolling by $13t this week.  http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Many cities have an elected mayor and a professional city manager.    The mayor cuts ribbons, hands out the key, kisses babies, the manager runs the city.   Maybe we should do this on a national level.  Obama has shown a proficeny at reading speeches, maybe we should find someone who has actually balanced a check book to run the business of the government.   

26 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Don't miss the millstone, er I mean milestone

what does that number really mean? Is it just the debit side of a balance sheet? If so, lets see the asset side which would include all the natl parks, prime fed gov realestate and buildings, fed highway system, etc.
Advisor

Didn't fully appreciate the state of the GOP and the right winged movements until watching about 45 minutes of FOX News Sunday and MTP this AM. The FOX segment on immigration with Kristol and Hume getting evicerated by two verifiably conservative women reporters spoke not just volumes, but a library. If your entire schtick is simply telling the same lies over and over again  until they become conventional wisdom, if that is all you really know about politics and all you've ever done as a journalist, you are in big trouble when some of your own point out that is what you are doing. It was classic. Go stream it.

And Cornyn trying to "explain" Dr. Pauls views on MTP was SNL or Daily Show worthy.

I'm not talking here about how I personally feel about any of the views expressed or discussed, but just simply about how totally unarmed you people are.

Senior Advisor

The government selling a road isn't going to help the liability side of the sheet much. 60% of the budget is for SS and medicare, that will increase if debt much faster than any asset will increase if value.

Senior Contributor

You make a great case to cut spending. Are you willing to do that?

Highlighted
Contributor

Is that what you said when Bush was running up the Nat. Debt?  That is possibly the most pathetic post by a respected poster that I've ever seen on here. 

I'm ashamed for you to even think along those lines.

Contributor

Wow...that's quite a stretch you make in order to completely ignore the OP and try and change the subject.  It certainly doesnt top 4wd's idiotic post, but we can't fault you for not giving it a try. 

Senior Advisor

Interesting Doc.  Evidently you view all spending as a net loss. Just for the sake of discussion, when you make a capital improvement such as a new shed or new tractor, do you show that as an asset on the balance sheet or merely show the expense side?

For example student loans for college. Do you view that only as an expense or an investment in the future. When the government invests in new roads and bridges, is that just an expense or an investment in infrastructure?

For certain spending is spending  but sometimes it is investing as well. Sometimes investing is designed to improve income or decrease expected future expense needs . Not all expenditures are money lost. Sometimes they pay back over time.

From my point of view I have come to this conclusion. I have a couple of real estate loans. I tell Carolyn that every time I pay down on a loan, it's just like giving myself a pay increase. So many dollars that I don't have to pay in interest next year. I'm kind of like those debt reduction guys. I can't wait to make the next payment and always play more than I have to.

It's kind of funny how different people can look at the same things from a different perspective.  Like paying of my mortgages, I know how well I have done but still focus on how far I have to go.  How are your crops doing up there? We were nervous a couple of nites about storms but other wise the weather has been perfect.

Senior Advisor

Mr Kraft, would you look at your children, or anyone else, cashing in your 401K for a swimming pool as an investment or an expense. The government does not operate on "it's" money, it operates on ours. The money they "invest" on roads and bridges for a decade wouldn't run SS and medicare for a week. Our problem is run away federal spending so what does our government do, they start a brand spanking new one that will eat up another couple of trillion over the next 10 years. At some point in time the bill will come due, some one, some how, some time, is going to have to pay for what we are now using on credit.

Senior Contributor

everything is relative pertaining to gov spending 3020. $100 billion spent by the gov  in 1930 probably would have everyone saying it would break us, now, a trillion dollars (1000 billion) is a mere 10% of 0ur 10 trillion dollar economy. 40 YEARS AGO, YOU COULD BUY A NEW CAR FOR $3,000, now it costs about $25,000. But today's cars are much more luxurious with a/c, stero, r.r.defrog, radial tires, and 30 mpg...so, value has increased along with the price. That is what makes it all worthwhile. As long as value, not to mention income, goes up with the price, we all can stomach paying it.

Just relax, as long as uncle sam controls the printing presses, and the world still accepts our dollar, the sky is the limit. I don't have the current figures, but they used to say every dollar spent locally turns 3 times, and every dollar spend nationally turns 1.5 times, therefore, gov spending is growing the US economy .50 for every fed dollar spent. GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111