cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Actually, Ben, I Do Agree with You.

Craig, I pretty much have a problem with the spouse of a legislator working for state government after the legislator got their job, period. Using a legislative position for personal or family gain is a tremendous compromise of principal. Agreed. In Arkansas, state employees must disclose if they are related to anyone who is a constitutional officer, legislator or another state employee. It can be a problem and should be watched like a fox in a hen house.

tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

I agree also, but does that apply to Clarence Thomas too ??????

Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Double Dipping

Monetary inflation IS taxation.
4wd
Senior Contributor

I see no problem with double dippers. Guys like Iowa Gov Bumstead, and kraft-t  and many others get income both ways, SS and employment (or farm in Kraft-t's case), and I'll bet they pay more income tax both fed and state than I do too. In this country, if you make money legally, you have Uncle Sam that extracts their fair share regardless of age or double dipping. Income is tracked with computers, then taxed. You don't pay em, you go to jail.

Now, Health care is another issue. All this free medicare for the elderly, shouldn't someone pay taxes on that outlay?

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Actually its medicare ins, a premuin is paid each month.   Since you bring it up do you think farmer should pay income taxes on those progrms where taxpayers  pickup all or a portion  of their costs.   Like crop ins where govt pickup 60+% of cost .?     

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Not Really Dipping a'tall...

After I retired from the Postal Service, they came out with a plan to let retirees come back on a part time, casual basis because they were short handed.  You had to stop your retirement for the time you worked unless you would make less than your pension, then you got that difference so that you wouldn't be worse off by working than retired.  If the state of Iowa allows him to collect both of them at the full rate, then seems that the state is the dunce.  I don't see that as a union problem.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Isn't it kinda hard to find someone in AR or KY who isn't related to everyone else??Smiley Very Happy

4wd
Senior Contributor

Yes, ABSOLUTELY any government program money that benefits a farmer whether it be a crop insurance subsidy or direct payments should be taxes, and I thought It was. I know the FSA sends me a 1099 yearly reflecting what was paid to me in gov payments, that I get to pay income tax on.

Now if you are asking me to justify direct cash payments, conservation cost sharing payments, crop ins subsidy, and others, all I can say is the gov is living up to it's contractual obligations with me, and in return, I am farming with and abiding by what they spelled out.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The benefit goes the crop ins co, they pay taxes. There aint no free lunch. Every wonder why crop ins agent has nicest house in town?

hardnox604008
Advisor

You mean taking the direct payment plus the massive ehanol subsidy?