cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Dr King on Israel

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2012/01/dr-martin-luther-king-lost-legacy.html    "When people criticize Zionists they are talking about Jews, you are talking antisemitism". 

13 Replies
Advisor

It's a hoax, MLK never wrote the phony letter

That was a hoax, which CAMERA, a very pro-Israel organization "published a statement declaring that the letter was "apparently" a hoax." http://www.blacksandjews.com/MLKIsrael.html

snip--"Finding direct and published utterances by Dr. King about the modern Middle East and Zionism is extremely rare. A cursory review of dozens of books on and by the civil rights leader turned up nothing.

Nonetheless, defenders of Israel often refer to a letter by Dr. King. This letter is reprinted in full on many web pages and in print. One example of a quotation derived from this letter is:

"... You declare, my friend; that you do not hate the Jews, you are merely 'anti-Zionist' ... And I say, let the truth ring forth from the high mountain tops, let it echo through the valleys of God's green earth: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews... Anti-Semitism, the hatred of the Jewish people, has been and remains a blot on the soul of mankind. In this we are in full agreement. So know also this: anti-Zionist is inherently anti-Semitic, and ever will be so."

"Antiracism writer Tim Wise checked the citation, which claimed that it originated from a "Letter to an Anti-Zionist Friend" in an August, 1967 edition of Saturday Review. In an article on January, 2003, essay he declared that he found no letters from Dr. King in any of the four August, 1967 editions. The authors of this essay verified Wise's discovery. The letter was commonly cited to also have been published in a book by Dr. King entitled, "This I Believe: Selections from the Writings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr." No such book was listed in the bibliography provided by the King Center in Atlanta, nor in the catalogs of several large public and university libraries. Soon afterwards, CAMERA, a rabidly pro-Israeli organization, published a statement declaring that the letter was "apparently" a hoax. CAMERA explained how it gained so much currency. The "letter" came from a "reputable" book, Shared Dreams, by Rabbi Marc Shneier. Martin Luther King III authored the preface for the book, giving the impression of familial approval. Also, the Anti-Defamation League's Michael Salberg used the same quotes in his July 31st, 2001 testimony before the U.S. House of Representative's International Relations Committee's Subcommittee on International Operations and Human Rights.

"The bogus letter was further quoted by writers in prominent publications one would imagine armed with fact-checkers capable of spending the short amount of time needed to verify the primary source. Mort Zuckerman, the editor-in-chief of the U.S. News & World Report quoted the letter in a column (9/17/01). Warren Kinsella followed suit in an article for Maclean's (1/20/03). Commentary, which is known more for its ideological zeal than any appreciation for factual scruples, ran a piece by Natan Sharansky. He quoted the false passage as a block--some ten months after CAMERA declared it a hoax."

mmmm

Advisor

Re: Dr King on Israel

Frequently reicycled fabricated hoax BA. Stays alive by running into unwitting dupes with whom it strikes a chord that is convenient to their prejudices whereipon they sahare and pass it along. I'm quite certain it's been cycled through this forum in the past. Crap thrown against the wall just like the poor kids who lost everything, including the entire farm, after inherting it.
Advisor

Probably the main reason the LIARS are trotting out the old LIE is because a very Honorable young Jewish man will read his essay which won the "Martin Luther King Jr. Day Writing Awards" contest today, which will most likely be published  in a number of media sources.

"The  guidelines call for poems or personal narratives that "reflect on  encounters with race and difference in their own lives." The  competition is open to students from local high schools and Carnegie Mellon."

Mr.. Lieberfeld's essay, Fighting a Forbidden Battle: How I Stopped Covering Up for a Hidden Wrong, is below Erick Drain's essay, Anomalies: My Struggle for an Identity, both of which have a similar theme.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12015/1203351-109.stm#ixzz1jdxBcLF6

Veteran Advisor

Bruce, I can take you by a farm that was saddled with a huge inheritance debt in the late 70's, and the sibling that tried to farm and stay above water failed., The farm was sold when land prices dropped and he was underwater, and now works in town. and he is not the only one I am sure. Better check your sources.

Advisor

All sort so f those.  I know of and did business with several.  That isn't what I was talking about . (But I think you know that)

I was refering to the mythical situation that is posed of the financially sound  farm that is willed and passed along  with the beneificiaries needing to sell of the  property to pay the tax and wound up with nothing..

The time fram that you reference would have created all sorts of situations such as you claim.  If there were other onerous debt obligations, as there were for 10s of thousands of farms at that time.   They would not have been discharged at the death of the benefactor.  He likely left his heirs with them.  Many most likely ever had a chance.

That isn;t what the popular claim that I'm refering to is about.

Senior Advisor

When my brother in law's dad died the tax payment was nearly as big as the farm payment.

Veteran Advisor

It was a softball friend's farm, I knew the brothers not all that well. According to distant memory it was either 160 or 200 acres and the estate taxes ended up in six figures. With $3 corn, maybe everything worked...with $1.89 corn, the stuff hit the fan. Over $500 per acre inheritance taxes and land dropping to under $1000 per acre, where was the fairness here? If the land had been mortgaged up to the hilt, there should not have been much inheritance tax since the taxes are levied on net inheritance, not gross.

Maybe you are right, probably so, that there were other liabilities, but the one that pushed this operation over the edge was the inheritance tax levy. Maybe I need to hook the brothers up with the Koch Brothers so that they can be spokesmen and get some payment for that.

or Maybe they made the whole thing up. I guess I think I know when I hear a story with the ring of truth.

Advisor

Are you wishing that there was some sancitity that comes with the transfer of the deed that would overide obligations on existing operating debts? Or on the obligations taken on via loan or contract by the particular heir who chose to buy out the others?

Just because Grandpa dies there shouldn't be any chance that the place go on under then?  The net inheritance factor may come in, but it isn't discounted by the standing feed bill or any new notes.

If that was possible tax accountants and estate planners everywhere would have figured out how to build up estates through debt.  Sort of like they do sometimes before bankruptcy. 

/

Senior Advisor

He probably didn't owe much on the farm. Was the farm the only asset or was their millions in other investments?

I'm always skeptical of such claims as people are prone to leaving out the peretinent details.