cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UNIranch
Senior Contributor

E. Warren

With college tuition up by 1000% over 30 yrs her bill to grant govt loans to students at the same rate as banks get is brilliant...what is the pulse here?
14 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: E. Warren

Not only brilliant but absolutely magnificant. A veritable f'in "in your face" to hard wired, connected crony capitalism Could only be improved upon if it were to be preceeded by a parallel to TARP and followed up with a parallel to subsidized crop insurance.
bruce MN
Advisor

Chuckling over my initial reaction to your thread title. Who came to mind for me at first glance was former Chief Justice of the SCOTUS Earl Warren, perhaps the most effective public servant of the post-war era. The irony of those initials/names hadn't struck me before. Thanks
r3020
Senior Advisor

@UNIranch wrote:
With college tuition up by 1000% over 30 yrs her bill to grant govt loans to students at the same rate as banks get is brilliant...what is the pulse here?

Why do you think college tuition have gone over a 1,000%? And you think the answer to the problem is cheap government money. The liberal mind is a thing of wonder.

Samnospam
Advisor

Why don't people understand what you're saying?  

So you loan the money @ .5%, but the increased demand for education causes tuition to go up more than what is saved on interest.  now the kid graduates with more debt than before and the debt can never be discharged.

Its really not hard to understand.  They are using low interest to boost asset values, tuition is no different. 

UNIranch
Senior Contributor

I feel that investing in the ed. of our youth should be a priority in this country and this is a way to do it...With banks showing nice profits with these low intrest loans why not afford our future minds the same...student debt is a drag on the economy is it not
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

It somewhat amazes me that concept that easy credit promotes higher prices in the market place. As if that is a negative. Profitable schools ought to be an objective just like profitable businesses.

The idea that the schools benefit from easy money is no different than easy credit for purchasing consumer goods.  Yet you folks don't want any advantages going to the have nots or have less. That is the same reason you want employees stuck with substandard wages and benefits. BECAUSE their competition in the market place may cause price increases for what you may want to buy.

If a college education is too expensive than where is the capital markets trying to build new school with aless expensive product? That is the way capitalism is supposed to work so I have been told.

Shools are nothing more than businesses selling a product. They have to compete in our society with each other. The profit motive is not shameful any more than you and I trying to pry $17 out of the bean market.

The conservative mind is a wonder as well. They beleive in profitability for the deserving but not everyone is deserving in your mindset.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

It somewhat amazes me that concept that easy credit promotes higher prices in the market place. As if that is a negative. Profitable schools ought to be an objective just like profitable businesses.

The idea that the schools benefit from easy money is no different than easy credit for purchasing consumer goods.  Yet you folks don't want any advantages going to the have nots or have less. That is the same reason you want employees stuck with substandard wages and benefits. BECAUSE their competition in the market place may cause price increases for what you may want to buy.

If a college education is too expensive than where is the capital markets trying to build new school with aless expensive product? That is the way capitalism is supposed to work so I have been told.

Shools are nothing more than businesses selling a product. They have to compete in our society with each other. The profit motive is not shameful any more than you and I trying to pry $17 out of the bean market.

The conservative mind is a wonder as well. They beleive in profitability for the deserving but not everyone is deserving in your mindset.

Who said anything about schools not being profitable? Should insurance companies show they same profitability? How about dentist? It is about how they get those profits. 1000% increase in tuition seems a bit steep. Cheap interest will do nothing to bring those tuition down. It will have the opposite effect.

As far are where are the schools being built with lower cost. They are with the $10,000 bachelor degree.

bruce MN
Advisor

Yeah...sorta...

..kind of.

It's more a matter of equilibrium..  and slowly boiling frogs. 

No one knows when the kicking is going to stop. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-not-just-stocks-everything-is-overvalued-2013-05-10?link=MW_pop...

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: it isnt paid anyhow

what differenc does it make --at least we dont lose as much on paper !!!!