cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

EX NRA worker

Macleans has an interview with Tony Diaz a former NRA man about uns in the USA.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/04/the-former-nra-man-on-his-conversion-to-gun-control-newtown-and-t...

Q: You were an NRA man years ago, someone who grew up with guns and was comfortable around them. What changed your thinking?

A: I ended up on the staff of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Crime and Criminal Justice, and I was the only staffer, literally, on that committee who knew anything at all about guns, so they said, “Okay, now you’re going to do the gun legislation.” And a couple of things then snapped me out of my comfortable gun world, especially a hearing about the impact of firearms on children. I interviewed kids and it shocked me what 10-, 11-, 12-year-old kids were talking about—one had actually seen her best friend shot down in the street. And, you know, we thought it was bad then, but it was really only the beginning of the trend in the U.S. The kids’ testimony rolled me back; I thought, “This is not the gun world I grew up in. This isn’t target shooting. It’s not even hunting, it’s just killing machines.” And so, like Saul on the way to Damascus, I suddenly became a convert to gun control.

Q: Newtown may be a tipping point, but for years you’ve been trying to move this debate from the killing sprees and other headline material to the everyday and virtually unnoticed slaughter in the U.S.

A: Exactly. I tell people if we stopped every mass shooting tomorrow, we’d still have a horrendous record of firearm death and injury that no other advanced nation would allow. In the last 20 years we’ve seen this turning of the civilian market into a military bazaar. Take an Occam’s razor approach: if you dump millions of military firearms, assault rifles and high-capacity semi-automatic pistols into a given country, won’t its people, now that they have access, start using them? Newtown is the natural and probable consequence of this marketing. What’s frustrating is that information about firearms violence has been very skilfully suppressed by the gun industry and the NRA. When I say suppressed I mean they’ve prevented, by law, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from releasing data that used to be routinely released, such as rates of crime with specific guns by make and model. So 20 years ago we could have asked, “Well, how many crimes have been committed with Bushmaster rifles?” and the ATF could have developed that from their data. Today we cannot get that information. The news media run to these mass shootings but ignore the everyday shootings in their own communities.

5 Replies
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: EX NRA worker

They can dish it out but not a wimper when the boot is on the other foot.

johnaa
Advisor

It may appear to casual observers that the NRA is about protecting the rights of firearm owners, however, if you pay close attention to what they do, their main purpose today is to collect money to enrich the employees and elect Republicans. 

The corporate media always puts the spotlight on the NRA, while refusing any mention of Gun Owners of America and other No Compromise gun lobby organization.  It's the same game they played by ignoring Ron Paul for years, until it became so very obvious.

http://gunowners.org/ www.RMGO.org

They will put on a mighty show then help write the restrictive legislation and claim it's a victory.  That is the reason real no compromise gun right organizations exist. 

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

When you agree with me we make a powerful combination.

johnaa
Advisor

You're still might confused if you think I am supporting any infringement of The People's right to keep and bear arms.  I belong to GOA and RMGO because they are real, No Compromise gun lobby, unlike the NRA judas goats.

Ron Paul said the GOA is "the only no compromise gun lobby in Washington", that's "ONLY", he was  there for several decades and knows how it works, what they did, what is real and what is phony.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

could I be so bold as to ask you for your phone number. Would love a yarn. email me if you want colinnorris2@bigpond.com.au