cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Such Bull crap

You guys are always touting the "market" which delivers some hefty incomeif you are lucky. NO ONE puts all theirmoney to live on in passbook savings or CDs and those are the ones that pay almost nada.  Try again!

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Actually, what I think he said, is the economy is smothered, by high energy costs, and was associating government policies that make energy more expensive, as a sort of 'tax'.  When energy is cheap, is when things get going.  Maybe you should re-read what he wrote.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Econ 101

That is basically what this guy was saying but of course, they had the loyal opposition on also and he said "no"  stating that it was people like the big investor risk takers who create the jobs even though the first guy proved that in the bottom line the only REAL risk takers were the small investors who bought the stock through their mutual funds etc.  They stood to lose their money when the company went bust but the investment firms had already made their money regardless how the business went.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

You must remember, the people who bought the stock, if they make big profits on it, will likely vote for the politician who took credit for it, that is what it is about.

Conversely, on the other side, you will have people who vote for the politician who says that those people made too much money, and need to share it.

That pretty much sums up my opinion, of the extremems of both parties.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

But the high cost of energy right now is not the fault of higher cost entirely.  Gas and diesel costs are due to change over and hurricanes and the market.  A hurricane pops up off the coast of Africa and the price of fuel jumps "because of a hurricane".  THAT is called speculation.  Why does diesel cost so much more than gas?  It is the cheapest fuel to make.  The main reason is that more car makers are making cars that use diesel and get great miliage.  Grandma always made lye soap and throught the by-product--diesel fuel --away.  I may attempt to do that this winter in AZ for my VW diesel.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

If you want to put it pure political terms you are probably correct BUT the point is that it s being touted by repubs that it is the big investment firms and fat cats who are the "risk takers" and that isn't true.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

That is basically what this guy was saying but of course, they had the loyal opposition on also and he said "no"  stating that it was people like the big investor risk takers who create the jobs even though the first guy proved that in the bottom line the only REAL risk takers were the small investors who bought the stock through their mutual funds etc.  They stood to lose their money when the company went bust but the investment firms had already made their money regardless how the business went.

Bart, the real risk takers are those who take their life's savings and start a business. Then they continue that risk by growing their business and hiring more people. It takes years of hard work, doing without, may be a failure or two, with the hope of one day enjoying the fruits of their labors. These are the risk takers and job creators.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I was meaning cost of the fuel to the user, not the cost of the production of the fuel.

One reason diesel fuel is high, is because it is the main fuel used for transportation of products, and irrigation of crops.

I burned 10-12 gallons MORE of diesel this year, for irrigation.  Multiply that out, across all of Nebraska, and you will see one of the reasons.  Those poor guys with the new tractors, that have to have the tiniest particle filtered out of the fuel, are having fits, because they are draining the bottoms of the storage tanks, to get that last bit of fuel to the farmers, and getting sludge in it.

My old 766 Farmall, with the two big filters plugged up this summer, and I've heard of guys changing fuel filters every 2 days, in some cases.  The 'new' HPCR diesels have to filter out such smaller particles, they are plugging much faster.

On a side note, if you have extra money laying around, my friend who works at Baldwin Filters, says they are running double shifts, lots of overtime, and can't find enough workers to hire.  Might be a good stock buying opportunity.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

How many jobs do you belive these folks really create?  I don't that in the long term they creata very many.  Sorry

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

The cost of production rolls down to the consumer but as you say demand causes the price to go up and more cars use diesel today than ever before.  Unfortunately, right now, diesel is about $4.09/gal on the East coast and my F350 with a 12-13,000# trailer hooked to it gets about 9.5 mpg!