cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Econ 101

@schnurrbart wrote:

How many jobs do you belive these folks really create?  I don't that in the long term they creata very many.  Sorry

snip-

In the US, small business (less than 500 employees) accounts for more than half the nonfarm, private GDP and around half the private sector employment. [19] Regarding small business, the top job provider is those with fewer than 10 employees, and those with 10 or more but fewer than 20 employees comes in as the second, and those with 20 or more but fewer than 100 employees comes in as the third (interpolation of data from the following references).[20] The most recent data shows firms with less than 20 employees account for slightly more than 18% of the employment.[21] According to “The Family Business Review,” “There are approximately 17 million sole-proprietorships in the US. It can be argued that a sole-proprietorship (an unincorporated business owned by a single person) is a type of family business” and “there are 22 million small businesses (less than 500 employees) in the US and approximately 14,000 big businesses.” Also, it has been found that small businesses created the most new jobs in communities, “In 1979, David Birch published the first empirical evidence that small firms (fewer than 100 employees) created the most new jobs” and Edmiston claimed that “perhaps the greatest generator of interest in entrepreneurship and small business is the widely held belief that small businesses in the United States create most new jobs. The evidence suggests that small businesses indeed create a substantial majority of net new jobs in an average year.” Local businesses provide competition to each other and also challenge corporate giants.

Of the 5,369,068 employer firms in 1995, 78.8 percent had fewer than 10 employees, and 99.7 percent had fewer than 500 employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_business

rawhide
Advisor

Re: Such Bull crap

i bet there's more people than you think that do

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I am not sure why people that tend to fall under the Republican banner believe so deeply that bankers and Wall Street types are job creators when 99% of their work involves the use of computers and exchanges performed on computers? We aren't talking jobs involving labor or even needing people, but that's not my point.

As unfair as the tax situation is (hose who can most afford to pay pay the least and those who can least afford to pay are burdened with the most taxes), there is still a huge problem. We either have to cut services or raise taxes and taxing the 1% is simply not enough to maintain our budget. The second half of this problem is that no one wants to cut anything and the general people, though they say they want to cut spending, wind up not really wanting any of their services cut.

This is something an enlightened and imaginative Congress must tackle. I think it involves evening the field and being very selective about who/what gets subsidies and tax cuts, who pays at what level and what functions of government could be farmed out to the private sector, how big of a security and military footprint we need, what do we do about entitlements and generally discuss what is important to maintain a good society for the people. That isn't going to happen as long as the current political finance engine in our nation is running full steam off the tracks. No one is going to change it either because despite the talk, they all owe too much to too many and the only people lacking representation are us poor working stiffs and lower income people who haven't a dime to contribute towards being important politically.

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Such Bull crap

Your not the sender.  Nobody at the head of the beast is looking for any input.

bruce MN
Advisor

Heck of an observation KNAPPER on how value determination is so much different than it was when most of the signals and instincts that drive policy making today were formed.

We are stuck in a universe where all considerations of public policy run head long into a world of money and money creation that doesn't fit any of the conventional methods or norms.

I've found this blogger's views to be fascinating and have linked him/her up here before:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2012/09/what-is-this-money-thing-anyway/

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I am not sure why people that tend to fall under the Republican banner believe so deeply that bankers and Wall Street types are job creators when 99% of their work involves the use of computers and exchanges performed on computers?

I don't know about repubs but conservatives certainly are not believers. This is why conservatives were so against TARP.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: back up nappie

how is the tax code unfair --as of now 10% of the people ay 80% of the taxes--this is just another demorat LIE

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: so why then is obalmo???

so against the small investors he wants to penalize them for investing---this shoukld lock your starter

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: according to the gao

the vast majority of jobs are created by small business --the people obalnmo wants to punish--i figure it isbecause he was too dumb to make a job --by coming from the hood where no one wants to work

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: now that is crap

the middle calss have never paid 30  % and the taxes balmo wants to raise are on the middle class----who do you think most investors are --and how does raising tanning taxes hurt thnbe rich--try once and tell the truth or be prepared to defend it