cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Election results

@BA Deere wrote:

harper was kind of "George W Bush" without the war and Trudeau is your "Obama"..   Canuck in your heart of hearts, would you rather have our Obama than Trudeau?  You can have him really Smiley Happy  If Obama had the "raw materials" that is Canada without a consititution that is similar to ours, I`ll bet Obama could do wonders in your country.

Who knows what could have been.

And only the fuure will tell us what Trudeau will do but he has a majority to do it like Harper had the last 4 years.

There is a difference though Harper took over after the previous governments had reduced our debt by 80 Billion $ and had a balance budget.

Trudeau is taking over after Harper has had deficits after deficis and added 150Billion to our debt.

Part of Trudeaus campaign is 3 deficit budgets to build infrastructure then balanced budgets.

Time will tell but we should get lots of new bridges, roads fixed and more probably.

Senior Contributor

I have a relative who lives in Canada, ans believe me, they have a far different view of what is 'Liberal' over there.

If I understand right, the 'Liberal' areas of Canada, are the ones that live the balanced budgets, and the 'Conservative' onse are wallowing in debt.   Here in the US, it is mostly the other way around, where the highly 'liberal' places like Detroit, Chicago, or even whole States like Illinois and California, are drowning in debt.

Canada's liberals may have some liberal policies, but at least they tend to figure out how to pay for it all.   Also, the liberals in Canada, seem to understand that it is beneficial to actually make products, rather than shuffle money around and regulate industries to death.  You can no longer buy a USA made Creosote post, because of environmental policies that shut down the plants that made them.   Any creosote post I buy around here, comes from Canada.   Why is that?   The last time I checked, Canadians weren't dying by the truckload because of the manufacture of posts.   (The list goes on for other products, as well - like many timber products, oil, etc, etc.)

Senior Contributor

You seem to be unaware of little unheard of places like Alabama and Mississippi

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was meaning in general, not in every case.

If you look at a State by State guide of how 'liberal' the States are, and compare it with which States are the most/least financially secure (as far as State governments go) you will see a distinct pattern emerge.

Senior Contributor

Ciatation ? Source ? Evidence ?

Or do you " Just Know "

Senior Contributor

It almost sounds like the conservative party in Canada, has more in common with the liberals in the US, than I originally thought.   Down here, the liberals are most often the ones saying that minorities need to vote for them, or else the mean nasty conservatives will leave them to wither and die, that they are racist, hate women, etc.

FWIW, talking to my relative, if I could move to any other country, my first pick would be Canada (in the warmer parts, at least, I don't care for bitter cold).  Maybe Austrailia next after that.

To Canada's credit, it seems that, from my perspective at least, that they have, or at least try for a decent balance between government intervention without being overly stifling.   My guess is that more in Canadian government care about doing the right thing, than they do their own personal gain, than we have here.

On the other hand, I wonder how much better off the USA would be, if it were Canada that was footing the majority of the bill for defending the Western Hemisphere, and was neighbors to Mexico, where squallor and corruption is driving so many of its citizens across the border. 

Senior Contributor

When 4 of the 5 States that are the worst off financially, are also in the top 10 of the list of most liberal States, and only 2 of the top 10 most conservative States make the top 10 list of most financially troubled States, I would think a pattern emerges.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-150415625.html;_ylt=A0LEVip.m...

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2013/02/04/top-10-most-liberal-vs-most-conservative-states/

Gallup

(Newser) – Forty-four states will likely come up short of their budgets in 2012, a development that has lawmakers considering a special bankruptcy provision for states. But which are deepest in the hole? The Daily Beast crunched the numbers, factoring in not just debt but unfunded pension and health care obligations. Here's the top 10:

1. Rhode Island
  2. Connecticut
  3. Massachusetts
  4. Illinois
  5. Hawaii

1. New Jersey
  2. New Hampshire
  3. Indiana
  4. Louisiana
  5. Oklahoma

Click for the rest.

You can also go here, and see the 5 best run, and 5 worst run States (State financial soundness, standard of living, and State services provided), and draw your own conclusions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-150415625.html;_ylt=A0LEVip.m...

Senior Contributor

Federal-Aid-as-a-Percentage-of-State-Revenue_0.png

Veteran Advisor

What do you say about that husky?  You understand what FEDERAL AID means right??

Veteran Advisor

The repubs can't/won't let that happen here without cutting off the poor and the veterans!!!