cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Entitlements, nothing hard about it

Do you think those 1800 that made more than $500,000 are entitled to paying absolutely no taxes? Are ethanol plants entitled to tax credits just because they produce ethanol? Are landowners entitled to more than a single vote on school bond issues? After all, they pay more per year for public schools than their kids use per year?

Finally, why do millionaires think they are entitled to tell the rest of us how to spend and earn our money?

Senior Contributor

"Double scanning is also common among privately insured patients who tend to be younger"

As you snipped, private and public insurance made no difference in numbers of double scanning. The answer is not determined by insurance type, but by what all insurance will pay. If you think providers will voluntarily follow guidelines, think again. They are also a business, willing to find and slip though loopholes to increase their bottom lines.

Senior Advisor

I am an american, not a greek. I sure if the Imf decides to help greece I assume it will be in the best interest of the financial community. You can disagree if you like.

Senior Contributor

@dagwud wrote:

The problem is how much it costs to keep a person alive for those last few months and often with a very poor quality of life.

There comes a time when nature should be allowed to take its course.

Be careful what you say Canuck.   I touched on that very subject before and was accused of being uncompassionate.   The fact is a very large part of our health care dollars are spent on the last week or month of elderly people's lives as faimlies and doctors try to prolong their lives for another day or week.  Many times these people have little quality of life left or even know what is going on but it is just hard for folks not to do everything they can for their loved ones.  This is why it is important for everyone to make a living will.

Yes dag a touchy subject and I sure would not want someone else making the decision in most cases but like you say too often death is prolonged and dragged out for no real advantage to the person. There is a time to make the person comfortable, adequate pain relief and let nature take its course.

I also think many people need to rethink their fear of death which is where we are headed eventually.   I am sure not in any hurry to die but when I am old and death is nearing I hope not be afraid or worried about what comes next.   I am not a big believer of a heaven where all true believers will some day be reunited with friends and family nor am I big believer in reincarnation.   However I do know there are many questions I have that will never be answered in my time here on earth.   Even though the chances are slim I have to hope that maybe after death we can learn the answers to many of life's mysteries.   An old college classmate used to say the human body is energy and you can not destroy energy as energy will simply transform itself into another form of energy. 

Death is not a pleasant thought but it is inevitable and too many people do not seem able to accept the fact and as you say they fear it. And many of those same people are the ones who claim to believe in a magical place after death.

I told the wife many years ago that when I die not to bury me in an expensive box in the ground as I prefer to be cremated and to have my ashes spread over our family farm and or down by the creek that runs through the farm.   I would rather my ashes be recycled into new plants and animals then to have my body pumped full of chemicals and locked below ground in a box.

Sounds like my wife and my wishes, right down to the creek that runs through our one property that we have walked to and enjoyed for over 35 years now. Was the second property we purchased, right across the road from our house and although all the land is not top crop land it has values that you can not get growing crops. Our own little private park land. Used to camp there with the kids, still have bonfires at least twice a year, now with grandchildren enjoying it.

BTW even cremation and no casket or elaborate service is not an inexpensive service and at least in Ontario you have to use some kind of licensed funeral service.

Besides their service does make things a little easier as they know what has to be done, where and how to do it, at a time when the survivors are not always at their best for thinking of all the little items. Even when the death is expected or not really surprising you are left kind of in a vacuum for a while. 

It would be interesting to learn how other cultures treat death as opposed to how our country does?   It seems that for modern western civilizations death is just one more big cash cow to harvested.  

Yes some cultures might surprise us with their good ideas.

Some religions require burial immediately, no long grieving process with people you or the deceased person has not seen for ages parading through the lines.

There is more of a trend in Ontario to do away with the public funeral and hold a private family memorial, often after cremation, rather than casket and burial. 

Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

I am an american, not a greek. I sure if the Imf decides to help greece I assume it will be in the best interest of the financial community. You can disagree if you like.

Thank you. I will.

Senior Contributor

Will eugenics become intangled into health insurance reform? Given the postings from some of the people on here, I doubt we have learned from the past.

http://journalstar.com/news/national/article_39ebef33-d1bb-598b-9af6-89af8f4d10fe.html

Senior Advisor

The last days cost money to preserve life whether you are a 50 year old or a 80 year old. You want to determine a check out time for those older folks because you think there is little value in preserving life at that age. That is your right to think that way but it is kind of a callous disdain for older folks. I thought you repubs were against death panels.

Why not cut off SS and just let those old folks starve to death. Or is it more merciful to just deny them treatment?

Evidently, it is better to let you deduct a $200k tractor in one year while grandma clings to life as best she can.

Senior Contributor

Don wrote:

The last days cost money to preserve life whether you are a 50 year old or a 80 year old. You want to determine a check out time for those older folks because you think there is little value in preserving life at that age. That is your right to think that way but it is kind of a callous disdain for older folks. I thought you repubs were against death panels.

Why not cut off SS and just let those old folks starve to death. Or is it more merciful to just deny them treatment?

Evidently, it is better to let you deduct a $200k tractor in one year while grandma clings to life as best she can.

See what I mean Canuck?  Hard to have an intelligent conversation with some folks when all they can do it resort to fear mongering and telling out right lies. 

For the record Don I have never purchased a new tractor or combine in my entire life.  We own 7 tractors and the total value of all 7 does not equal $100,000.

For years now I have put up with your bull crap of trying to claim I and others are saying something that is simply not true.  I sure hope you raised your children better then this when it comes to trying to win a debate.  I do not believe elderly people's lives have little value.   I think the world of my wife's 100 year old grandfather and truly enjoy talking with him and listening to the stories of how thing were back in his day.   Much of his old wisdom still rings true today.   I am also not trying to determine when people die.   I am simply trying to get people to realize that death is a reality that comes to us all and that keeping someone alive with machines while they have no quality of life and no hope of recovering is simply not the route to go in my opinion.   It is not only financially costly but often also extracts a very high emotional price on family members involved.

If that is your wish to force your children and wife to keep you alive with machines one day because you are to scared to meet your maker that is your prerogative.

Once again you do seem to be the text book definition of hyposcrasy.  You rail against Repubs who make false claims of death panels when debating the Dem's health care reform.   Yet there you are making your own false claims about others and death panels.   Aren't you getting a little old to be playing these childish games all the time? 

Senior Advisor

Mr Kraft, what do you think the 15 member independent payment advisory board set up under Obama care is for?

Senior Contributor

Eugenics

OMG what a gruesome thing to bring into a discussion.  And a wonderful way to assure that nothing beneficial gets done.

That kind of stuff is called fear mongering and is very detrimental to any discussion.  But then many of the points made on this board are simply greed and fear mongering.  It is a tactic used by people who do not have a sensical foot to stand on.

Good people do not want to take anything away from anybody, nor do they want to give to undeserving.

But as Jesus pointed out to us "the poor are with you always".  The thing we need to do is figure out how to help the poor without creating deadbeats.

And as far as everyone that is afraid something is being taken away from them just to help someone  who "doesn't work as hard as them".  Jesus also said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven"

Now don't start a religious discussion because if you think about it those teachings are simply about being decent human beings and it doesn't matter what God if any God you believe in.

I'd also say I can't comment a lot about the farm programs.  I've said before that there were supposedly people that worked the government programs for all they were worth.  I was pooh pooh for that.  But obviously many on this board believe there are people that have benefited from government farm programs more than they should have.